- The report contains detailed information about Athersys, Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Athersys, Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Athersys, Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Athersys, Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Athersys, Inc. business.
About Athersys, Inc.
Athersys, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, engages in the discovery and development of therapeutic product candidates.
The company's product development portfolio consists of MultiStem, a patented and proprietary stem cell product that it is developing as a treatment for multiple disease indications. In addition, the company is developing pharmaceuticals to treat indications, such as obesity, certain cognitive and attention disorders, and narcolepsy or other forms of excessive daytime sleepiness.
The company is developing a proprietary nonembryonic, allogeneic stem cell product candidate, MultiStem. MultiStem is being evaluated in two ongoing clinical trials, and has been authorized for use in a third clinical trial. MultiStem is a patented biologic product that is manufactured from human stem cells obtained from adult bone marrow. The product consists of a special class of human stem cells that have the ability to express a range of therapeutically relevant proteins and other factors, as well as form multiple cell types. The company is conducting the acute myocardial infarction clinical trial with its partner Angiotech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Angiotech), and the company completed phase I enrollment.
Working with independent investigators at various institutions, such as the University of Minnesota, the Cleveland Clinic, the National Institutes of Health, the Medical College of Georgia, the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center and the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, the company has studied MultiStem in a range of in vitro and animal models that reflect various types of human disease or injury, such as myocardial infarction, stroke, brain damage due to restricted blood flow in newborns, vascular disease, and bone marrow transplant support/ graft versus host disease (GVHD). In addition, the company is exploring, or intends to explore, the potential application of MultiStem in the treatment of a range of other conditions, such as certain blood or immune deficiencies and various autoimmune diseases.
The company has advanced MultiStem to clinical development stage in three areas: treatment of damage caused by myocardial infarction; support in the hematologic malignancy setting to reduce certain complications associated with traditional bone marrow or hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) transplantation; and treatment for stroke caused by a blockage of blood flow in the brain. In its phase I clinical trial, the company are exploring the use of MultiStem as a treatment for damage caused by myocardial infarction, or heart attack. Another area of focus is the use of MultiStem as adjunctive treatment for HSC/bone marrow transplant used as therapy in hematologic malignancy. A third focus of its regenerative medicine program is the use of MultiStem for the treatment of neurological injury as a result of ischemic stroke.
In December 2009, the company entered into a collaboration agreement with Pfizer Inc. (Pfizer) to develop and commercialize MutiStem for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) for the worldwide market.
The company is developing pharmaceutical treatments for obesity, which are compounds designed to act by stimulating a key receptor in the brain that regulates appetite and food intake the 5HT2c receptor. The company initiated a drug development program focused on creating potent and selective compounds that stimulate the 5HT2c receptor, but that avoid the 5HT2b receptor and other receptors, such as 5HT2a.
In addition to its other programs, the company is independently developing novel, orally-active pharmaceuticals that are designed to improve wakefulness and promote cognitive abilities in patients that experience attention or cognitive deficits. The company is developing multiple classes of highly selective and potent compounds designed to block the H3 receptor and has established a program to develop non-stimulant, non-addictive, orally administered drugs for the treatment of narcolepsy or other conditions related to excessive daytime sleepiness.
The company intends to continue the study of H3 antagonist compounds that it is developing for potential applications in treating narcolepsy, excessive daytime sleepiness, chronic fatigue associated with certain disease conditions, such as Parkinsons, certain attention or cognitive disorders, and other conditions. In addition, the company intends to conduct additional pharmacology and safety testing of certain compounds the company is developing, and is exploring potential partnering opportunities around this and other programs.
Other Key Technologies
In addition to its product development programs, the company developed its patented random activation of gene expression (RAGE) technology that provides it with the ability to produce human cell lines that express specific, biologically well validated drug targets without relying upon cloned and isolated gene sequences. It has entered into a collaboration with Bristol-Myers Squibb to provide cell lines expressing validated drug targets produced using its RAGE technology for compound screening and development.
Athersys, Inc. was founded in 1995.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. ATHERSYS, INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. ATHERSYS, INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. ATHERSYS, INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. ATHERSYS, INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. ATHERSYS, INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Athersys, Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Athersys, Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Athersys, Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Athersys, Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Athersys, Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. ATHERSYS, INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. ATHERSYS, INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. ATHERSYS, INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. ATHERSYS, INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. ATHERSYS, INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. ATHERSYS, INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Athersys, Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Athersys, Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Athersys, Inc. Major Shareholders
Athersys, Inc. History
Athersys, Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Athersys, Inc. Offices and Representations
Athersys, Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Athersys, Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Athersys, Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
Athersys, Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Statistics
Athersys, Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Athersys, Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Athersys, Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Athersys, Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
Athersys, Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
Athersys, Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Athersys, Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Athersys, Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?