[email protected] +44 20 8123 2220 (UK) +1 732 587 5005 (US) Contact Us | FAQ |

Electric Vehicles Service Equipment Industry Reviewed by SBI

17 Jul 2012 • by Natalie Aster

With a DC charger, the charging hardware to convert the AC current from the source is in the EVSE itself. In this form, the EVSE supplies the direct current required to charge the battery, with the charging hardware on the vehicle simply monitoring the current being fed to the car, managing it to the current level required as the battery charges to full.

The new report "EVSE Electric Vehicle Service Equipment Market Worldwide" by SBI states that existing vehicle batteries cannot receive a lot of current very quickly; in fact, all battery chargers, whether for your phone or your car, deliberately decrease the speed of charging as the battery gets closer and closer to full. This is why the battery in your laptop will seem to charge very quickly up to about 80% charge, then drop off and take much longer to charge the remaining 20%. This change in speed is necessary because of the nature of the lithiumion chemistry; charging too fast causes significant overheating and expansion of the electrodes.

Report Details:

EVSE Electric Vehicle Service Equipment Market Worldwide
Published: June, 2012
Pages: 136
Price: US$ 4.950,00

All PEV charging connectors can only handle a certain amount of voltage and current due to factors such as the diameter of the wire used to connect the plug. This means there is no single connector usable for all different types of charging. A good example is in the U.S., where the currently defined J1772 standard for level 1 and level 2 AC charging is not sturdy enough to also work for level 3 AC charging.

There are over a half dozen different government bodies and organizations developing PEV charging standards around the world. While all of the organizations regularly work with one another on these standards, it does not prevent these bodies from continuing to develop noncompatible connectors.

More information can be found in the report “EVSE Electric Vehicle Service Equipment Market Worldwide” by SBI.

To order the report or ask for sample pages contact [email protected]


MarketPublishers, Ltd.
Tanya Rezler
Tel: +44 208 144 6009
Fax: +44 207 900 3970
[email protected]

Analytics & News

Weekly Digest