- The report contains detailed information about Rock-Tenn Co. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Rock-Tenn Co.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Rock-Tenn Co. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Rock-Tenn Co. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Rock-Tenn Co. business.
About Rock-Tenn Co.
Rock-Tenn Company manufactures packaging products, recycled paperboard, containerboard, bleached paperboard, and merchandising displays.
The companys segments include Consumer Packaging, Corrugated Packaging, Merchandising Displays, and Specialty Paperboard Products.
Consumer Packaging Segment
This segment operates an integrated system of five coated recycled mills and a bleached paperboard mill that produce paperboard for its folding carton operations and third parties. Customers use its folding cartons to package dry, frozen and perishable foods for the retail sale and quick-serve markets; beverages; paper goods; automotive products; hardware; health care and nutritional food supplement products; household goods; health and beauty aids; recreational products; apparel; take out food products; and other products. It also manufactures express mail envelopes for the overnight courier industry.
The company manufactures folding cartons from recycled and virgin paperboard, laminated paperboard, and various substrates with specialty characteristics, such as grease masking and microwaveability. It prints, coats, die-cuts, and glues the paperboard to customer specifications. The company ships finished cartons to customers for assembling, filling and sealing. It manufactures bleached paperboard and market pulp. It sells its coated recycled and bleached paperboard to manufacturers of folding cartons, and other paperboard products.
Corrugated Packaging Segment
This segment operates an integrated system that manufactures linerboard and corrugated medium (containerboard), corrugated sheets, corrugated packaging, and preprinted linerboard for sale to industrial and consumer products manufacturers and corrugated box manufacturers. To make corrugated sheet stock, the company feed linerboard and corrugated medium into a corrugator that flutes the medium to specified sizes, glues the linerboard and fluted medium together, and slits and cuts the resulting corrugated paperboard into sheets to customer specifications. The company also converts corrugated sheets into corrugated products ranging from one-color protective cartons to graphically brilliant point-of-purchase containers and displays. It provides structural design and engineering services.
Merchandising Displays Segment
This segment manufactures temporary and permanent point-of-purchase displays. It manufacturers temporary promotional point-of-purchase displays in North America. The company designs, manufactures, and packs temporary displays for sale to consumer products companies. These displays are used as marketing tools to support new product introductions and specific product promotions in mass merchandising stores, supermarkets, convenience stores, home improvement stores, and other retail locations.
The company also designs, manufactures, and pre-assembles permanent displays for the same categories of customers. It makes temporary displays primarily from corrugated paperboard. The company provides contract packing services, such as multi-product promotional packing and product manipulation, such as multipacks and onpacks. It manufactures lithographic laminated packaging for sale to its customers that require packaging with graphics.
Specialty Paperboard Products Segment
The company operates an integrated system of five specialty recycled paperboard mills (including its Seven Hills Paperboard LLC (Seven Hills) joint venture) which produce paperboard for its converting operations (including its solid fiber interior packaging locations) and third parties, and it buys and sells recycled fiber. It sells its specialty recycled paperboard to manufacturers of solid fiber interior packaging, tubes and cores, and other paperboard products. Through its Seven Hills joint venture, the company manufactures gypsum paperboard liner for sale to its joint venture partner.
The company also converts specialty paperboard into book cover and laminated paperboard products for use in furniture, automotive components, storage, and other industrial products. Its 65% owned subsidiary, RTS, designs and manufactures solid fiber and corrugated partitions and die-cut paperboard components. It manufactures solid fiber partitions in North America. It manufactures and sells its solid fiber and corrugated partitions principally to glass container manufacturers and producers of beer, food, wine, spirits, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals and to the automotive industry. The company also manufactures specialty agricultural packaging for specific fruit and vegetable markets and sheeted separation products. It manufactures solid fiber interior packaging primarily from recycled paperboard. RTS operates in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, and Argentina.
The company handles various grades of recovered paper, including old corrugated containers, office paper, box clippings, newspaper and print shop scraps. After sorting and baling, it transfers collected paper to its paperboard mills for processing, or sell it, principally to U.S. manufacturers of paperboard, tissue, newsprint, roofing products and insulation. It also operates a fiber marketing and brokerage group that serves large regional and national accounts, as well as its coated and specialty recycled paperboard mills and sells scrap materials for its converting businesses and paperboard mills.
Sales and Marketing
As of September 30, 2010, the company sold consumer packaging products to approximately 1,600 customers; corrugated packaging products to approximately 1,600 customers; merchandising display products to approximately 200 customers; and specialty paperboard products to approximately 2,300 customers.
Rock-Tenn Company was founded in 1936.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. ROCK-TENN CO. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. ROCK-TENN CO. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. ROCK-TENN CO. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. ROCK-TENN CO. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. ROCK-TENN CO. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Rock-Tenn Co. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Rock-Tenn Co. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Rock-Tenn Co. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Rock-Tenn Co. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Packaging and Containers Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Rock-Tenn Co. Industry Position Analysis
6. ROCK-TENN CO. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. ROCK-TENN CO. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. ROCK-TENN CO. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. ROCK-TENN CO. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. ROCK-TENN CO. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. ROCK-TENN CO. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Rock-Tenn Co. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Rock-Tenn Co. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Rock-Tenn Co. Major Shareholders
Rock-Tenn Co. History
Rock-Tenn Co. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Rock-Tenn Co. Offices and Representations
Rock-Tenn Co. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Rock-Tenn Co. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Rock-Tenn Co. Capital Market Snapshot
Rock-Tenn Co. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Packaging and Containers Industry Statistics
Rock-Tenn Co. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Rock-Tenn Co. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Rock-Tenn Co. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Rock-Tenn Co. 1-year Stock Charts
Rock-Tenn Co. 5-year Stock Charts
Rock-Tenn Co. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Rock-Tenn Co. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Rock-Tenn Co. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?