- The report contains detailed information about PPL Corporation that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for PPL Corporation. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The PPL Corporation financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes PPL Corporation competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of PPL Corporation business.
About PPL Corporation
PPL Corporation, an energy and utility holding company, through its subsidiaries primarily engages in the generation of electricity from power plants in the northeastern and western United States; marketing of wholesale or retail energy primarily in the northeastern and western portions of the United States; and delivery of electricity to approximately 4 million customers in Pennsylvania and the United Kingdom.
PPL Energy Supply, LLC is an energy company engaged through its subsidiaries in the generation and marketing of power, primarily in the northeastern and western power markets of the U.S. and in the delivery of electricity in the U.K. PPL Energy Supply's major operating subsidiaries are PPL Generation, PPL EnergyPlus, and PPL Global. As of December 31, 2009, PPL Energy Supply owned or controlled 11,719 megawatts of electric power generation capacity and has plans to implement capital projects at certain of its existing generation facilities in Pennsylvania and Montana to provide 239 megawatts of additional generating capacity by 2014.
PPL Electric Utilities Corporation is a direct subsidiary of PPL and a regulated public utility. PPL Electric provides electricity delivery service in its service territory in Pennsylvania and provides electricity supply to retail customers in that territory as a PLR under the Customer Choice Act.
The company is organized into three segments consisting of Supply, Pennsylvania Delivery, and International Delivery.
The Supply Segment owns and operates domestic power plants to generate electricity; markets and trades this electricity and other purchased power to deregulated wholesale and retail markets; and acquires and develops domestic generation projects. This segment consists primarily of the activities of PPL Generation and PPL EnergyPlus.
PPL Energy Supply has generation assets that are located in the eastern and western U.S. markets. The eastern generation assets are located in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic energy markets - including PJM, the New York ISO and ISO New England. PPL Energy Supply's western generating capacity is located in markets with in the western Electricity Coordinating Council.
PPL Energy Supply Owned or Controlled Generation Capacity:
PPL Energy Supply owned or controlled generating capacity of 11,719 megawatts as of December 31, 2009. Through subsidiaries, PPL Generation owns and operates power plants primarily in Pennsylvania, Montana, Illinois, Connecticut, New York and Maine.
PPL Energy Supply's U.S. generation subsidiaries are exempt wholesale generators (EWGs), which sell electricity into the wholesale market. The electricity from these plants is sold to PPL EnergyPlus under FERC-jurisdictional power purchase agreements.
PPL Generation operates its Pennsylvania and Illinois power plants in conjunction with PJM Interconnection, L.L.C. PPL Generation's Pennsylvania and Illinois power plants and PPL EnergyPlus are members of the ReliabilityFirst Corporation (REC).
Pennsylvania generation had a capacity of 9,583 megawatts as of December 31, 2009. These plants are fueled by uranium, coal, natural gas, oil, water, and other fuels.
PPL Susquehanna, a subsidiary of PPL Generation, owns a 90% undivided interest in each of the two nuclear-fueled generating units at its Susquehanna station in Pennsylvania. Allegheny Electric Cooperative, Inc. owns the remaining 10% undivided interest. PPL's 90% share of Susquehanna's generating capacity was 2,206 megawatts as of December 31, 2009. The Illinois natural gas-fired station has a capacity of 585 megawatts.
The Montana coal-fired and hydroelectric-powered stations have a capacity of 1,286 megawatts. PPL Montana's power plants are operated in conjunction with the western Electricity Coordinating Council.
The Connecticut natural gas-fired station has a capacity of 244 megawatts, is operated in conjunction with ISO New England and the Northeast Power Coordinating Council.
The New York oil/gas-fired stations have a capacity of 159 MW. These generating assets are operated in conjunction with the New York ISO and the Northeast Power Coordinatin
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. PPL CORPORATION COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. PPL CORPORATION BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. PPL CORPORATION SWOT ANALYSIS
4. PPL CORPORATION FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. PPL CORPORATION COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. PPL Corporation Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of PPL Corporation and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of PPL Corporation and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. PPL Corporation Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Utilities Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. PPL Corporation Industry Position Analysis
6. PPL CORPORATION NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. PPL CORPORATION EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. PPL CORPORATION ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. PPL CORPORATION IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. PPL CORPORATION PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. PPL CORPORATION VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
PPL Corporation Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
PPL Corporation Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
PPL Corporation Major Shareholders
PPL Corporation History
PPL Corporation Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
PPL Corporation Offices and Representations
PPL Corporation SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
PPL Corporation Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
PPL Corporation Capital Market Snapshot
PPL Corporation Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Utilities Industry Statistics
PPL Corporation Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
PPL Corporation Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
PPL Corporation Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
PPL Corporation 1-year Stock Charts
PPL Corporation 5-year Stock Charts
PPL Corporation vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
PPL Corporation vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
PPL Corporation Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?