- The report contains detailed information about MDU Resources Group Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for MDU Resources Group Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The MDU Resources Group Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes MDU Resources Group Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of MDU Resources Group Inc. business.
About MDU Resources Group Inc.
MDU Resources Group, Inc. operates as a natural resource company. The company operates in the businesses of electric, natural gas distribution, construction services, pipeline and energy services, natural gas and oil production, and construction materials and contracting.
The company, through Montana-Dakota Utilities Co. (Montana-Dakota), a public utility division, generates, transmits, and distributes electricity and distributes natural gas in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. The company, through Cascade Natural Gas Corporation (Cascade), distributes natural gas in Oregon and Washington; through Intermountain Gas Company (Intermountain) distributes natural gas in Idaho; and through Great Plains Natural Gas Co., a public utility division of the company (Great Plains) distributes natural gas in western Minnesota and southeastern North Dakota. These operations also supply related value-added products and services.
The company, through its wholly owned subsidiary, Centennial Energy Holdings, Inc., (Centennial), owns WBI Holdings (comprising the pipeline and energy services and the natural gas and oil production segments), Knife River Corporation (Knife River) (construction materials and contracting segment), MDU Construction Services Group, Inc. (construction services segment), Centennial Energy Resources LLC, and Centennial Holdings Capital LLC.
Montana-Dakota provides electric service at retail, serving approximately 122,000 residential, commercial, industrial and municipal customers in 177 communities and adjacent rural areas as of December 31, 2009. The principal properties owned by Montana-Dakota for use in its electric operations include interests in nine electric generating facilities and approximately 3,000 and 4,600 miles of transmission and distribution lines, respectively.
Through an interconnected electric system, Montana-Dakota serves markets in portions of western North Dakota, including Bismarck, Dickinson, and Williston; eastern Montana, including Glendive and Miles City; and northern South Dakota, including Mobridge. The interconnected system consists of nine electric generating facilities, which have an aggregate nameplate rating attributable to Montana-Dakota's interest of 463,055 kW and a total summer net capability of 486,900 kW. Montana-Dakota's four principal generating stations are steam-turbine generating units using coal for fuel. The nameplate rating for Montana-Dakota's ownership interest in these four stations (including interests in the Big Stone Station and the Coyote Station, aggregating 22.7 percent and 25.0 percent, respectively) is 327,758 kW. Through the Sheridan System, Montana-Dakota serves Sheridan, Wyoming, and neighboring communities.
Natural Gas Distribution
The company's natural gas distribution operations consist of Montana-Dakota, Great Plains, Cascade, and Intermountain which sell natural gas at retail, serving approximately 829,000 residential, commercial, and industrial customers in 333 communities and adjacent rural areas across eight states as of December 31, 2009, and provide natural gas transportation services to certain customers on their systems. These services are provided through distribution systems aggregating approximately 17,000 miles.
The company's natural gas distribution operations serve retail natural gas markets, consisting principally of residential and firm commercial space and water heating users, in portions of Idaho, including Boise, Nampa, Twin Falls, Pocatello and Idaho Falls; western Minnesota, including Fergus Falls, Marshall and Crookston; eastern Montana, including Billings, Glendive and Miles City; North Dakota, including Bismarck, Dickinson, Wahpeton, Williston, Minot and Jamestown; central and eastern Oregon, including Bend and Pendleton; western and north-central South Dakota, including Rapid City, Pierre, Spearfish and Mobridge; western, southeastern and south-central Washington, including Bellingham, Bremerton, Longview, Moses Lake, Mount Vernon, Tri-Cities, Walla Walla and Yakima; and northern Wyoming, including Sheridan.
The company's natural gas distribution operations obtain t
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. MDU Resources Group Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of MDU Resources Group Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of MDU Resources Group Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. MDU Resources Group Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Utilities Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. MDU Resources Group Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. MDU RESOURCES GROUP INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
MDU Resources Group Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
MDU Resources Group Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
MDU Resources Group Inc. Major Shareholders
MDU Resources Group Inc. History
MDU Resources Group Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
MDU Resources Group Inc. Offices and Representations
MDU Resources Group Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
MDU Resources Group Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
MDU Resources Group Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
MDU Resources Group Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Utilities Industry Statistics
MDU Resources Group Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
MDU Resources Group Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
MDU Resources Group Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
MDU Resources Group Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
MDU Resources Group Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
MDU Resources Group Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
MDU Resources Group Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
MDU Resources Group Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?