“Market Access Management: Building Teams That Deliver Value to Payers” Published by MarketPublishers.com17 Oct 2011 • by Natalie Aster
LONDON – Market access teams are taking on enormous significance in the modern healthcare landscape, where product success blooms on a delicate mixture of factors including positive health outcomes, competitive pricing and effective reimbursement by cost-conscious payers. To succeed, these teams must tap new resources and advance objectives across an incredible network of stakeholders — everyone from internal subfunctions to other major departments to external private and public customers.
New research report “Market Access Management: Building Teams That Deliver Value to Payers”worked out by Cutting Edge Information has been recently published by Market Publishers Ltd.
Title: Market Access Management: Building Teams That Deliver Value to Payers
Published: October, 2011
The study provides granular metrics outlining real-world benchmarks and management practices across the US, EU, Canada and emerging markets. The report is a must-have for those who want to:
- influence major product decisions;
- win critical resources;
- bolster internal and external communication;
- stay up-to-date on global market trends.
Market Access: Five Recommendations for Success
STRUCTURING AND FUNDING MARKET ACCESS TEAMS
MARKET ACCESS ACTIVITIES
Market Access Pricing Teams
Market Access Health Economics/Outcomes Research Teams
Market Access Patient-Reported Outcomes Teams
Market Access Comparative Effectiveness Research Teams
Market Access Reimbursement Teams
Market Access Account Management Teams
Market Access Government Affairs Teams
MARKET ACCESS STRATEGY AND CHALLENGES
Strategic Team Involvement
Overcoming Internal and External Challenges
Defining Successful Market Access Teams
MARKET ACCESS GROUP PROFILES
CHAPTER 1: STRUCTURING AND FUNDING MARKET ACCESS TEAMS
- Keep pace with rising expectations by benchmarking market access budgets and spending.
- Discover how companies fund market access in different regions, including emerging markets.
- Explore benefits and drawbacks of different reporting relationships and structural alignments.
- Strengthen communication between headquarters and regional teams to integrate global and local expertise.
28 CHARTS DETAIL MARKET ACCESS STRUCTURES AND BUDGET DATA:
- Reporting structure among companies with or without dedicated market access teams
- Percentage of companies with separate and autonomous market access functions
- Position of executive leading market access activities, by region
- Groups overseen by market access teams
- Market access budgets by region
- Percentage of budget dedicated to specific market access activities
- Projected increases in market access budget by activity
- Outsourcing allocations for specific market access activities
CHAPTER 2: MARKET ACCESS ACTIVITY-LEVEL SPENDING AND PROCESSES
- Ensure top-notch support for specific activities — explore real-world budget dollars and staffing headcounts.
- See how region and company size affect resource allocations for different activities.
- Understand market access management trends — and see where the money is going.
- Understand which factors impact staffing in market access groups.
- Balance market access activities and understand outsourcing trends throughout the product lifecycle.
56 CHARTS EXPLORE MAJOR MARKET ACCESS ACTIVITIES: PRICING, HEALTH ECONOMICS AND OUTCOMES RESEARCH (HEOR), PATIENT-REPORTED OUTCOMES (PROS), COMPARATIVE EFFECTIVENESS RESEARCH (CER), REIMBURSEMENT, ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT, AND GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS.
- Percentage of companies that house each specific activity/subfunction under market access
- Percentage of the market access budget dedicated to each activity, by both region and company size
- Projected changes in 2012 budgets
- Number of FTEs dedicated to pricing
- Prominence of outsourcing within each activity
CHAPTER 3: MARKET ACCESS STRATEGY AND CHALLENGES
- Refine market access strategy.
- Influence decisions throughout development and launch.
- Eliminate critical, productivity-killing operational roadblocks.
- Establish healthy relationships with payers and internal stakeholders.
- Deepen understanding of current trends to overcome market challenges.
- Define and measure success.
18 CHARTS DETAILING APPROACHES TO MARKET ACCESS STRATEGY AND CHALLENGES:
- Earliest and latest points of involvement by market access teams in product lifecycle, by region
- Involvement of market access teams by phase:
- Relationship-building teams
- Strategic leaders
- Outcomes-based teams
- By Phase 2
- During Phase 3
- During registration & launch
- During 1st, 2nd, 3rd year on market and beyond
- Frequency of market access strategy re-evaluation
- Market events that require market access strategy re-evaluation
- Rankings of market challenges and operational challenges
CHAPTER 4: MARKET ACCESS GROUP PROFILES
- Benchmark your team directly against 10 other groups.
- Explore market access operations, company by company.
Profiles for 10 market access groups, broken down into five major components:
Background and Structure
- Company type
- Region where the group is active
- Reporting structure
- Centralized or decentralized structure
Market Access Resources
- Overall market access spending, by year
- Budget split by subfunction, by dollar amount and percentage
- Projected change over time
- Health Economics/Outcomes Research (HEOR)
- Patient-Reported Outcomes (PROs)
- Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Account Management
- Government Affairs
- Health Outcomes Liaisons (HOLs)
Market Access Strategy
- Involvement phase, by subfunction
- Reasons for strategy re-evaluation
Market Access Challenges
Ratings on a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 being very important, showing the importance of certain challenges.
- Operational Challenges
- Gaining access to quality information
- Communicating with payers
- Selecting & managing vendors
- Securing adequate resources
- Communication with internal teams
- Internal clients’ lack of knowledge
- Market Event Challenges
- Reference pricing
- Focus on generics
- Austerity measures
- Value-based pricing
- Comparative effectiveness research
CHARTS AND GRAPHICS
CHARTS AND GRAPHICS
More new market research reports by the publisher can be found at Cutting Edge Information page.
The Market Publishers, Ltd.
Tel: +44 208 123 2220
Fax: +44 207 900 3970