- The report contains detailed information about Torstar Corporation that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Torstar Corporation. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Torstar Corporation financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Torstar Corporation competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Torstar Corporation business.
About Torstar Corporation
Torstar Corporation operates as a media company in North America, the United Kingdom, Japan, France, and Germany.
The company operates its business in two segments: Newspapers and Digital; and Book Publishing.
Newspapers and Digital
The Newspapers and Digital Segment includes the Star Media Group; Metroland Media Group (Metroland); and Transit Television Network (Transit TV).
Star Media Group includes the Toronto Star, a daily newspaper, which is read in print and online (thestar.com) by approximately 2.9 million readers every week. In addition to thestar.com, Star Media Group includes the Wheels.ca (reviews, articles and information on new and used vehicles) and toronto.com (an online destination for where to go and what to do in the Greater Toronto Area) websites. Star Media Group also includes eyeReturn Marketing, a provider of online marketing services, the Torstar Digital corporate group and Torstar Media Group Television (a 24-hour direct response television business and commercial production house).
In addition, Star Media Group also includes Torstars proportionate interests in Sing Tao Daily, Metro, Workopolis, and Olive Media. Sing Tao Daily publishes a Chinese language newspaper in Canada with editions in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. It is also involved in printing, outdoor advertising, Chinese telephone directories, radio and weekly magazine publishing. Torstar jointly owns the Canadian operations of Sing Tao Daily with Sing Tao Holdings Limited. Metro is a free daily newspaper that is published in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton jointly by Torstar and Metro International S.A. and in Halifax jointly by Torstar, Metro International S.A. and Transcontinental Media G.P. Torstar owns 50% of Workopolis, a provider of Internet recruitment and job search solutions, and 75% of Olive Media, which provides media solutions that reach approximately 12 million Canadian visitors monthly on its portfolio of top-tier sites including CNET.com, iVillage.com, thestar.com, cyberpresse.ca, RD.ca (Readers Digest), Allrecipes.com and tetesaclaques.tv. Gesca Ltd. is Torstars partner in both of these partnerships.
Metroland Media Group publishes in print and online approximately 100 community newspapers and three daily newspapers The Hamilton Spectator, the Waterloo Region Record and the Guelph Mercury. It is also the publisher of Gold Book Directories, a number of specialty publications, and operates various consumer shows throughout Ontario. Metroland Media Group has eight Web press facilities, which print the Metroland newspapers and also engage in commercial printing.
Transit TV is a U.S. based operation that delivers full motion, broadcast-quality information and entertainment to passengers on buses and rail transit on screens mounted in the vehicle.
Book Publishing Segment
The Book Publishing Segment reports the results of Harlequin, a global publisher of books for women. Harlequin publishes books around the world in various genres and formats, selling through the retail channel and directly to the consumer by mail and the Internet. Harlequins publishing operations consist of three divisions: North America Retail, North America Direct-To-Consumer and Overseas. In 2008 Harlequin published books in 28 languages in 114 international markets.
Harlequin sells books under various imprints, including Harlequin, Silhouette, MIRA, HQN, Steeple Hill, LUNA, Spice and Kimani Press. Harlequin publishes books in both series and single title formats. Series titles are published monthly in mass-market paperback format under an imprint that identifies the type of story to the reader. Each series typically has a preset number of titles that would published each month. The single title publishing program provides a broader spectrum of content in various formats (mass-market paperback, trade paperback, hardcover) and generally a lengthier book.
Torstar owns a 20% equity interest in CTVglobemedia Inc. (CTVgm), which is Canadian multi-media company with ownership interests in CTV, a Canadian private broadcaster, and the national daily newspaper, The Globe and Mail. CTVgm owns and operates 27 conventional television stations across Canada, with interests in specialty channels. CTVgm also owns the CHUM Radio Division, which operates radio stations throughout Canada. Other CTVgm investments include: an interest Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors and the Air Canada Centre; and an interest in Dome Productions, North American leader in the provision of mobile high definition production facilities.
Torstar has a 19.35% equity investment in Black Press Ltd. Black Press Ltd. which is privately held company that publishes approximately 150 newspapers (weeklies, dailies and shoppers) in Canada and the U.S., and has 17 press centres in Western Canada, Washington State, Ohio and Hawaii.
Torstar Corporation was founded in 1892.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. TORSTAR CORPORATION COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. TORSTAR CORPORATION BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. TORSTAR CORPORATION SWOT ANALYSIS
4. TORSTAR CORPORATION FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. TORSTAR CORPORATION COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Torstar Corporation Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Torstar Corporation and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Torstar Corporation and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Torstar Corporation Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Media Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Torstar Corporation Industry Position Analysis
6. TORSTAR CORPORATION NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. TORSTAR CORPORATION EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. TORSTAR CORPORATION ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. CANADA PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. TORSTAR CORPORATION IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. TORSTAR CORPORATION PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. TORSTAR CORPORATION VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Torstar Corporation Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Torstar Corporation Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Torstar Corporation Major Shareholders
Torstar Corporation History
Torstar Corporation Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Torstar Corporation Offices and Representations
Torstar Corporation SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Torstar Corporation Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Torstar Corporation Capital Market Snapshot
Torstar Corporation Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Media Industry Statistics
Torstar Corporation Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Torstar Corporation Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Torstar Corporation Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Torstar Corporation 1-year Stock Charts
Torstar Corporation 5-year Stock Charts
Torstar Corporation vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Torstar Corporation vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Torstar Corporation Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
SWOT, which stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, is an analytical framework that identifies the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable for a company.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?