- The report contains detailed information about Magellan Health Services Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Magellan Health Services Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Magellan Health Services Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Magellan Health Services Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Magellan Health Services Inc. business.
About Magellan Health Services Inc.
Magellan Health Services, Inc. engages in the specialty managed healthcare business in the United States. The company provides managed behavioral healthcare services, radiology benefit management services, and specialty pharmaceutical management services to health plans, insurance companies, employers, labor unions, and various governmental agencies.
Managed Behavioral Healthcare
The Managed Behavioral Healthcare Business includes two segments, such as the Managed Behavioral Healthcare Commercial segment and the Managed Behavioral Healthcare Public Sector segment.
The company provides behavioral healthcare treatment services through its contracted network of third-party treatment providers, which includes psychiatrists, psychologists, other behavioral health professionals, psychiatric hospitals, general medical facilities with psychiatric beds, residential treatment centers and other treatment facilities. The treatment services provided through the company's provider network include outpatient programs, such as counseling or therapy, intermediate care programs, such as intensive outpatient programs and partial hospitalization services, inpatient treatment, and crisis intervention services.
The company provides its management services primarily through: risk-based products, where it assumes all or a substantial portion of the responsibility for the cost of providing treatment services; administrative services only (ASO) products, where it provides services, such as utilization review, claims administration and/or provider network management; and employee assistance programs (EAPs) where it provides short-term outpatient behavioral counseling services.
Commercial: The Managed Behavioral Healthcare Commercial segment (Commercial) generally reflects managed behavioral healthcare services and EAP services provided under contracts with health plans and insurance companies for some or all of their commercial, Medicaid and Medicare members, as well as with employers, including corporations and governmental agencies, and labor unions. Commercial's contracts encompass risk-based, ASO, and EAP arrangements.
Public Sector: The Managed Behavioral Healthcare Public Sector segment (Public Sector) generally reflects managed behavioral healthcare services provided to Medicaid recipients under contracts with state and local governmental agencies. Public Sector contracts encompass either risk-based or ASO arrangements.
Radiology Benefits Management
The Radiology Benefits Management segment generally reflects the management of the delivery of diagnostic imaging services to ensure that such services are clinically appropriate. Its radiology benefits management services are provided under contracts with managed care companies, health insurers and other health plans for their commercial, Medicaid and Medicare members. It also contracts with state and local governmental agencies for the provision of such services to Medicaid recipients. The company offers its radiology benefits management services through ASO contracts, where it provides services, such as utilization review and claims administration.
Specialty Pharmaceutical Management
The Specialty Pharmaceutical Management segment generally reflects the management of specialty drugs used in the treatment of cancer, multiple sclerosis, hemophilia, infertility, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic forms of hepatitis and other diseases. Specialty pharmaceutical drugs represent injectible, infused, oral, or inhaled drugs often with sensitive handling or storage needs. The company's specialty pharmaceutical management services are provided under contracts with health plans, insurance companies, and governmental agencies for some or all of their commercial, Medicare and Medicaid members. The company's specialty pharmaceutical services include contracting and formulary optimization on behalf of health plans and pharmaceutical manufacturers; dispensing specialty pharmaceutical drugs on behalf of health plans; providing strategic consulting services to health plans and pharmaceutical manufacturers; and providing oncology management services to health plans and state Medicaid programs. As of December 31, 2009, the company's Specialty Pharmaceutical Management segment had contracts with 40 health plans, and various pharmaceutical manufacturers and state Medicaid programs.
The Medicaid Administration segment (Medicaid Administration) generally reflects integrated clinical management services provided to the public sector to manage Medicaid, pharmacy, mental health and long-term care programs. The company's Medicaid Administration services include the management of pharmacy benefits administration (PBA), medical management information services and fiscal agent services (FAS), and health care management services (HCM). Medicaid Administration management services are provided under contracts with states to Medicaid and other state sponsored program recipients. Medicaid Administration's contracts encompass Fee-For-Service (FFS) arrangements.
In 2009, the company acquired all of the outstanding equity interests of Coventry's direct and indirect subsidiaries First Health Services Corporation (FHS), FHC, Inc. (FHC) and Provider Synergies, LLC (together with FHS and FHC, First Health Services) and certain assets of Coventry which are related to the operation of the business conducted by First Health Services. First Health Services provides pharmacy benefits management and other services to Medicaid programs.
The company has contracts with the State of Tennessee's TennCare program. It also has contract to provide managed behavioral healthcare services to Medicaid recipients and other beneficiaries of the Maricopa County Regional Behavioral Health Authority. The company also has a significant concentration of business from contracts with subsidiaries of WellPoint, Inc. (WellPoint) and with various counties in the State of Pennsylvania (the Pennsylvania Counties) which are part of the Pennsylvania Medicaid program.
Magellan Health Services, Inc. was founded in 1969.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Magellan Health Services Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Magellan Health Services Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Magellan Health Services Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Magellan Health Services Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Healthcare Services Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Magellan Health Services Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. MAGELLAN HEALTH SERVICES INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Magellan Health Services Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Magellan Health Services Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Magellan Health Services Inc. Major Shareholders
Magellan Health Services Inc. History
Magellan Health Services Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Magellan Health Services Inc. Offices and Representations
Magellan Health Services Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Magellan Health Services Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Magellan Health Services Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
Magellan Health Services Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Healthcare Services Industry Statistics
Magellan Health Services Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Magellan Health Services Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Magellan Health Services Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Magellan Health Services Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
Magellan Health Services Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
Magellan Health Services Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Magellan Health Services Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Magellan Health Services Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
SWOT, which stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, is an analytical framework that identifies the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable for a company.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?