- The report contains detailed information about Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated business.
About Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule drugs for the treatment of serious diseases.
Telaprevir (VX-950) (investigational oral HCV protease inhibitor for the treatment of HCV infection): Telaprevir, the companys primary drug candidate, is an orally-administered hepatitis C protease inhibitor that is being evaluated in treatment-naive and treatment-failure patients with genotype 1 HCV infection in combination with peg-IFN and RBV. Telaprevir is designed to inhibit the NS3-4A serine protease, an enzyme necessary for HCV replication. The company completed dosing of all study drugs in the registration program for telaprevir. It is planning to initiate a Phase 2a clinical trial to evaluate telaprevir in combination with VX-222, a polymerase inhibitor, with and without peg-IFN and RBV.
The company has collaboration agreements relating to telaprevir with Janssen Pharmaceutica, N.V., or Janssen, a Johnson & Johnson company, and Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation, or Mitsubishi Tanabe. Pursuant to these agreements, Janssen would be responsible for the commercialization of telaprevir, including the manufacture of its own commercial supply of telaprevir, outside of North America and the Far East. Mitsubishi Tanabe would be responsible for the commercialization of telaprevir, including the manufacture of its own commercial supply of telaprevir, in Japan and specified other countries in the Far East. The company completed three Phase 2b clinical trials of telaprevir-based combination therapy in patients infected with genotype 1 HCV, referred to as the PROVE trials.
Mitsubishi Tanabe Clinical Program: Mitsubishi Tanabe has three ongoing Phase 3 trials of telaprevir-based combination therapy in approximately 300 treatment-naïve and treatment-failure patients with HCV infection in Japan. Mitsubishi Tanabe has completed the telaprevir dosing portion of these Phase 3 clinical trials.
VX-222 (investigational oral HCV polymerase inhibitor for the treatment of HCV infection): HCV polymerase inhibitors, including the companys HCV polymerase inhibitor VX-222, are direct-acting antiviral agents that inhibit the replication of HCV, and through a mechanism distinct from HCV protease inhibitors, such as telaprevir. VX-222 was evaluated by ViroChem Pharma Inc., or ViroChem, in Phase 1 clinical trials prior to its acquisition of ViroChem in 2009.
Additional HCV Research Activities and Development Programs: In addition to its development activities focused on telaprevir and VX-222, the company is conducting various earlier-stage research and development activities targeted at identifying compounds that have advantageous characteristics for potential use against HCV infection. VX-985, an investigational HCV protease inhibitor that the company discovered, is in Phase 1 clinical development.
The company is conducting clinical trials of two drug candidates, VX-770 and VX-809, that were selected because of their potential to improve the function of defective CFTR proteins in patients with CF. It discovered VX-770 and VX-809 in its research collaboration with The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics Incorporated, or CFFT, and with the support and participation of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The company holds worldwide development and commercialization rights to VX-770 and VX-809.
The company completed a Phase 2a clinical trial of VX-770. It completed a Phase 2a, 28-day clinical trial of VX-809 as a single agent in 89 patients 18 years or older with the F508del mutation on both alleles.
Immune-mediated Inflammatory Diseases
VX-509 (investigational oral JAK3 inhibitor for the treatment of immune-mediated inflammatory diseases): VX-509 is designed to inhibit Janus kinase 3, or JAK3, which is involved in signaling pathways that control the survival and proliferation of a type of white blood cells referred to as lymphocytes. The company completed Phase 1 clinical trials of VX-509, including a Phase 1 single dose and a multiple dose-ranging 14-day clinical trial of VX-509 in healthy volunteers.
In January 2010, the company initiated a Phase 2a clinical trial of VX-509 in patients with moderate-to-severe rheumatoid arthritis, or RA.
VX-765 (investigational oral Caspase-1 inhibition for the treatment of epilepsy): VX-765 is designed to inhibit the interleukin-1 converting enzyme, which is an enzyme that controls the generation of cytokines, IL-1b and IL-18. The company initiated the Phase 2a trial for VX-765.
Merck & Co., Inc.: The company has a collaboration with Merck to discover, develop and commercialize Aurora kinase inhibitors. Under the agreement, Merck was responsible for developing and commercializing the drug candidates that resulted from the collaboration worldwide. Merck is conducting a Phase 1 clinical trial of MK-5108 (VX-689) involving patients with advanced and/or refractory tumors.
The companys competitors include Merck; Bristol-Myers Squibb Company; GlaxoSmithKline; Pfizer; Roche; Amgen; Novartis; Johnson & Johnson; PTC Therapeutics, Inc.; Inspire Pharmaceuticals Inc.; Intermune, Inc.; and Pharmasset, Inc.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated was founded in 1989.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED SWOT ANALYSIS
4. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Industry Position Analysis
6. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INCORPORATED VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Major Shareholders
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated History
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Offices and Representations
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Capital Market Snapshot
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Statistics
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated 1-year Stock Charts
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated 5-year Stock Charts
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?