- The report contains detailed information about Shire plc that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Shire plc. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Shire plc financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Shire plc competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Shire plc business.
About Shire plc
Shire plc, a specialty biopharmaceutical company, engages in the research, development, manufacture, sale, and distribution of pharmaceutical products. The company focuses its business on attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), human genetic therapies, and gastrointestinal (GI) diseases, as well as opportunities in other therapeutic areas.
The company operates in two segments: Specialty Pharmaceuticals and Human Genetic Therapies (HGT).
Treatments for ADHD
VYVANSE: VYVANSE is a new chemical entity for the treatment of ADHD and is the first pro-drug stimulant, where the amino acid l-lysine is linked to d-amphetamine, which is therapeutically inactive until metabolized in the body. VYVANSE for the treatment of ADHD in pediatric patients aged 6 to 12 years was approved in 2007 and is available in the U.S. in six dosage strengths: 20mg, 30mg, 40mg, 50mg, 60mg and 70mg, all indicated for once-daily dosing.
In April 2008 the FDA approved the adult indication for VYVANSE, making it the first and only once-daily pro-drug stimulant approved to treat adults aged over 18 years with ADHD. Shire launched VYVANSE in the U.S. for adults with ADHD in June 2008. In February 2009 Health Canada approved VYVANSE for the treatment of ADHD in pediatric patients aged 6 to 12 years in Canada. Shire launched VYVANSE in Canada in February 2010. In May 2009 Shire and GSK commenced working together on the co-promotion of VYVANSE for the treatment of ADHD in adults with the aim of improving recognition and treatment of adult ADHD in the U.S.
INTUNIV: INTUNIV is a new class of approved ADHD medications, a selective alpha-2A receptor agonist indicated for the treatment of ADHD. The FDA approved INTUNIV in September 2009 as a once daily treatment for children and adolescents aged 6 17 years. Shire launched INTUNIV in November 2009.
EQUASYM: In March 2009, Shire acquired from UCB the worldwide rights (excluding the U.S., Canada, and Barbados) to EQUASYM (methylphenidate hydrochloride) IR and XL for the treatment of ADHD in children and adolescents aged 6 18 years. EQUASYM XL is commercially available in ten countries in 10mg, 20mg, and 30mg strengths. EQUASYM is marketed in Mexico and South Korea under the trade name METADATE CD.
DAYTRANA: DAYTRANA is a methylphenidate transdermal delivery system for the once daily treatment of ADHD. It is available in four dosage strengths of 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, and 30mg, all designed for once-daily use.
ADDERALL XR: ADDERALL XR is an extended release treatment for ADHD, which uses MICROTROL drug delivery technology and is designed to provide once daily dosing. It is available in 5mg, 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 25mg, and 30mg capsules and can be administered either as a capsule or sprinkled on soft food. The FDA approved ADDERALL XR as a once-daily treatment for children aged 6 to 12, adults, and adolescents (aged 13 to 17).
Treatments for GI diseases
PENTASA: PENTASA controlled release capsules are indicated for the induction of remission and for the treatment of patients with mild to moderately active ulcerative colitis. PENTASA is an ethylcellulose-coated, controlled release capsule formulation designed to release therapeutic quantities of mesalamine throughout the gastrointestinal tract. PENTASA is available in the U.S. in 250mg and 500mg capsules.
LIALDA/MEZAVANT: LIALDA is indicated for the induction of remission in patients with mild to moderately active ulcerative colitis. LIALDA is an approved once-daily oral formulation of mesalamine for induction of remission. Once-daily LIALDA contains the highest mesalamine dose per tablet (1.2g). In April 2008, TAP Pharmaceutical Products Inc. (TAP) commenced co-promotion of LIALDA in the U.S.
Treatments for diseases in other therapeutic areas
FOSRENOL: FOSRENOL is a phosphate binder that is indicated for use in end-stage renal failure patients receiving dialysis. FOSRENOL binds dietary phosphate in the gastrointestinal tract to prevent it from passing through the gut lining and, based upon this mechanism of action, phosphate absorption from the diet is decreased. Formulated as a chewable
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. SHIRE PLC COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. SHIRE PLC BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. SHIRE PLC SWOT ANALYSIS
4. SHIRE PLC FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. SHIRE PLC COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Shire plc Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Shire plc and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Shire plc and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Shire plc Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Shire plc Industry Position Analysis
6. SHIRE PLC NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. SHIRE PLC EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. SHIRE PLC ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. IRELAND PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. SHIRE PLC IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. SHIRE PLC PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. SHIRE PLC VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Shire plc Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Shire plc Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Shire plc Major Shareholders
Shire plc History
Shire plc Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Shire plc Offices and Representations
Shire plc SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Shire plc Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Shire plc Capital Market Snapshot
Shire plc Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Statistics
Shire plc Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Shire plc Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Shire plc Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Shire plc 1-year Stock Charts
Shire plc 5-year Stock Charts
Shire plc vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Shire plc vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Shire plc Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?