- The report contains detailed information about Nordion Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Nordion Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Nordion Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Nordion Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Nordion Inc. business.
About Nordion Inc.
MDS, Inc., a life sciences company, provides products and services for the development of drugs, and the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. The company provides pharmaceutical contract research, medical isotopes and analytical instruments.
The company, through MDS Nordion, provides technologies for use in medical imaging and radiotherapeutics, and sterilization technologies for medical products and food safety; and the development and manufacture of radiopharmaceuticals. MDS Nordion distributes its products in approximately 70 countries.
MDS Nordion develops, manufactures, and distributes radioactive isotopes to produce products that include, medical isotopes that are used alone or coupled to targeting molecules for use in clinical research; diagnosis of cardiac function and other diseases, including cancer; and treatment of cancer; radiopharmaceutical products, which use medical isotopes, developed by MDS Nordion, or in collaboration with its partners, for targeted imaging in diagnosis and targeted therapy for the treatment of disease; and industrial isotopes and production irradiators for the sterilization of disposable medical products and for treating food.
MDS Nordion purchases reactor-produced medical isotopes, principally from AECL, such as Molybdenum-99 (Mo99), Iodine-131 (I131), Iodine-125 (I125) and Xenon-133 (Xe133) in an unfinished, non-purified form, and transports them to its own facilities in Ottawa, Canada for further processing.
MDS Nordion also manufactures and processes cyclotron-produced isotopes, such as Iodine-123 (I123), Thallium-201 (Tl201), Palladium-103 (Pd103) and Yttrium-90 (Y90) at its facilities in Vancouver, Canada and Fleurus, Belgium. In addition, in 2009, MDS Nordion started production of a finished radiopharmaceutical FDG comprised of Fluorine-18 (F18) used in PET imaging at its facility in Fleurus.
MDS Nordion focuses on the development and manufacture of radiotherapeutics and radiation-based medical devices. For the treatment of inoperable liver cancer, MDS Nordion manufactures and markets TheraSphere. TheraSphere involves injecting tiny irradiated glass beads that target cancerous tumours in the liver. In targeting liver cancer cells, the impact on the patients healthy tissues is minimized.
In addition, MDS Nordion is working toward identifying new radiotherapeutic uses for medical isotopes and building the necessary manufacturing and development capabilities to be the provider of choice for companies that are developing new products with applications employing isotopes. In collaboration with commercial partners, MDS Nordion is developing radiopharmaceuticals, such as Zemiva to detect cardiac ischemia and Azedra to treat neuroblastoma and pheochromacytoma with Molecular Insight Pharmaceuticals, Inc. MDS Nordion has a contract to manufacture two commercially available radiotherapeutics: Bexxar and Zevalin for GlaxoSmithKline, Inc. and Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, respectively. Both products are based on monoclonal antibodies and are used to treat non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Zevalin uses Y90 as the active agent and Bexxar uses I131.
In 2009, MDS Nordion commissioned a manufacturing facility in Ottawa in partnership with Bracco Diagnostics, Inc. and commenced manufacturing of CardioGen-82 used in PET for cardiac perfusion imaging.
MDS Nordion supplies Co60 for sterilization of single-use medical devices and various applications in food irradiation and phytosanitary processing. The majority of raw Co60 material is produced under long-term supply contracts with nuclear power suppliers, such as Bruce Power L.P. (Bruce Power), Ontario Power Generation (OPG) and Energoatom, the utility operator responsible for Russias nuclear power plants. Bruce Power supplies the majority of MDS Nordions Co60 from 4 reactors under a contract with the company. MDS Nordion also markets related equipment and services, such as industrial-scale production irradiators.
As of October 31, 2009, the company discontinued the operations of MDS Pharma Services and MDS Analytical Technologies.
The companys major competitors include Covidien Ltd.; Institute National des Radioelements (IRE) of Belgium; the NTP Radioisotopes (Pty) Ltd. (a wholly owned subsidiary of Nuclear Energy Corporation of South Africa); Reviss Services, Ltd.; Balchem Corporation; and Ion Beam Applications, S.A.
The company was founded in 1969. It was formerly known as Medical Data Sciences Limited and changed its name to MDS Health Group Limited in 1973. Further, the company changed its name to MDS, Inc. in 1996.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. NORDION INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. NORDION INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. NORDION INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. NORDION INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. NORDION INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Nordion Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Nordion Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Nordion Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Nordion Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Nordion Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. NORDION INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. NORDION INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. NORDION INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. CANADA PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. NORDION INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. NORDION INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. NORDION INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Nordion Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Nordion Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Nordion Inc. Major Shareholders
Nordion Inc. History
Nordion Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Nordion Inc. Offices and Representations
Nordion Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Nordion Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Nordion Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
Nordion Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Statistics
Nordion Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Nordion Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Nordion Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Nordion Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
Nordion Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
Nordion Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Nordion Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Nordion Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
SWOT, which stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, is an analytical framework that identifies the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable for a company.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?