- The report contains detailed information about Merck KGaA that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Merck KGaA. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Merck KGaA financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Merck KGaA competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Merck KGaA business.
About Merck KGaA
Merck Group operates as a manufacturer of standard and specialty chemicals for the laboratory and industry. In Europe and the rest of the world the company is known as Merck and in North America the company operates under the name EMD. The Company offers more than 750,000 products, from more than 5,000 manufacturers, to over 250,000 customers throughout North America and Europe.
The Companys Liquid Crystals division: The Companys production facilities for the mica pigments are located at Iriodin, in Gernsheim (Germany), Savannah (United States), and Onahama (Japan). The Companys investments in facilities for the new, more high-tech pigments Colorstream and Xirallic for innovative effect pigments for the printing, paints, and cosmetic industry.
Optics and Cosmetics businesses of the Company: As a provider of vapor deposition chemicals, the company is substantially involved in technological innovations; innovative cosmetic effect pigments and a new encapsulation technology for substances that protect the skin.
As a provider of analytical reagents, the companys products can be found in chemical laboratories. The companys Life Science Products division supplies research-based companies in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and agrochemical sector (Life Sciences) with a full range of products and services. In turn, the Companys U.S. subsidiary, which now operates under the name EMD Biosciences, developed a particularly large number of innovative products for biomedical research.
The Companys Laboratory Distribution Company, VWR International, enables its Analytics & Reagents and Life Science Products divisions to use cutting-edge sales channels in the two key regions, Europe and North America. Companies of the Merck Group are also developing in the emerging countries of Eastern Europe and Asia.
Business Sectors and Products
The Companys pharmaceuticals business comprises prescription drugs (Ethicals, e.g. for the treatment of metabolic and cardiovascular diseases), generics, and consumer health care products.
Ethicals: Products under this division include:
Diabetes (Type 2 diabetes: Glucophage, Glucovance, Glucophage XR, Metaglip)
Oncology (Developmental products against cancer: Erbitux, Theratope)
Established Products (Cardiovascular: Concor family of products, Lodoz, Nicorandil; thyroid preparations: Euthyrox central nervous system: Campral)
Other Indication Areas (Developmental products, e.g. vilazodone (depression), sarizotan (Parkinsons disease)
Womens Health (Hormone replacement therapy: Lutényl, Fem7)
Respiratory Diseases (Respiratory diseases and allergies: EpiPen, DuoNeb)
Generics: Products include Off-patent high-quality low-price drugs
Consumer Health Care: Products include Vitamins, minerals, supplements (Multi - bionta, Cebion, Bion 3, Seven Seas)
The Companys Chemicals business sector consists of five divisions which supply high-tech products: liquid crystals for displays; effect pigments and specialty chemicals for the technical industry; electronic chemicals for chip manufacture; salts, acids, alkalis, and solvents for chromatography; reagents, chemicals, and processing materials for the pharmaceutical industry.
Components (LCs, ITO glass) for liquid crystal displays (LCDs) in monitors, notebooks, mobile phones.
Life Science Products
Effect pigments (Iriodin, Colorstream, Xirallic), cosmetics, optics (Patinal)
Process chemicals including supply systems for chip manufacture, functional materials
Salts, acids, alkalis, solvents, special products, e.g. for chromatography (Chromolith)
Analytics and Reagents
Reagents and processing materials for biosciences, pharmaceutical compounds.
Through its business division, VWR International, Inc., the Company is engaged in the distribution of laboratory chemicals and equipment in North America and in Europe.
Merck also successfully markets a broad line of products in other therapeutic areas in many countries. Besides cardiovascular drugs, these include diabetes treat
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. MERCK KGAA COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. MERCK KGAA BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. MERCK KGAA SWOT ANALYSIS
4. MERCK KGAA FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. MERCK KGAA COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Merck KGaA Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Merck KGaA and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Merck KGaA and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Merck KGaA Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Merck KGaA Industry Position Analysis
6. MERCK KGAA NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. MERCK KGAA EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. MERCK KGAA ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. GERMANY PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. MERCK KGAA IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. MERCK KGAA PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. MERCK KGAA VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Merck KGaA Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Merck KGaA Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Merck KGaA Major Shareholders
Merck KGaA History
Merck KGaA Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Merck KGaA Offices and Representations
Merck KGaA SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Merck KGaA Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Merck KGaA Capital Market Snapshot
Merck KGaA Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Statistics
Merck KGaA Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Merck KGaA Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Merck KGaA Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Merck KGaA 1-year Stock Charts
Merck KGaA 5-year Stock Charts
Merck KGaA vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Merck KGaA vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Merck KGaA Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?