- The report contains detailed information about Discovery Laboratories Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Discovery Laboratories Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Discovery Laboratories Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Discovery Laboratories Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Discovery Laboratories Inc. business.
About Discovery Laboratories Inc.
Discovery Laboratories, Inc., a biotechnology company, engages in developing surfactant therapies to treat respiratory disorders and diseases based on its KL4 surfactant and capillary aerosol-generating technologies.
The company is developing its products, Surfaxin (lucinactant), Surfaxin LS, and Aerosurf, to address the significant respiratory conditions affecting pediatric populations.
Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Premature Infants (RDS)
Surfaxin for the Prevention of RDS in Premature Infants: The companys proprietary KL4 surfactant technology produces a synthetic surfactant that is structurally similar to human pulmonary surfactant and contains a proprietary synthetic peptide, KL4 (sinapultide). Surfaxin is a liquid instillate and is administered (usually within the first hours of birth) via endotracheal tube supported by mechanical ventilation for respiratory support.
Surfaxin LS Lyophilized Surfaxin for RDS in Premature Infants: Surfaxin LS is its lyophilized (dry powder) formulation of Surfaxin, which is resuspended as a liquid just prior to administration.
Aerosurf for RDS in Premature Infants: Aerosurf is its aerosolized KL4 surfactant that is administered through less-invasive means and is being developed to potentially obviate the need for intubation and conventional mechanical ventilation. The company is developing Aerosurf using its capillary aerosolization technology. It intends to initiate a Phase 2 clinical program for Aerosurf.
Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD)
The company has completed a Phase 2 clinical trial for Surfaxin for the prevention and treatment of BPD.
Acute Respiratory Failure (ARF)
The company is conducting a Phase 2 clinical trial to determine whether the administration of Surfaxin improves lung function and results in a shorter duration of mechanical ventilation and stay in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) or pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) for children up to two years of age suffering with ARF.
Serious Respiratory Indications Associated with Inflammation of the Lungs
The company is also evaluating the potential of developing its proprietary aerosolized KL4 surfactant technology to address debilitating respiratory disorders, such as acute lung injury (ALI), asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The company has entered into a strategic alliance with Philip Morris USA Inc. (PMUSA) doing business as Chrysalis Technologies (Chrysalis) through which it gained worldwide rights to its capillary aerosolization technology. The company holds worldwide licenses to the capillary aerosolization technology for use with pulmonary surfactants (alone or in combination with any other pharmaceutical compound(s)) for all respiratory diseases and conditions. In addition, it holds in the United States rights to the capillary aerosolization technology for use with other (non-surfactant) drugs to treat a range of pediatric and adult respiratory indications in hospitals and other health care institutions.
The company has a strategic alliance with Laboratorios del Dr. Esteve, S.A. (Esteve) for the development, marketing, and sales of a portfolio of potential KL4 surfactant products in Andorra, Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Spain.
Discovery Laboratories, Inc. was founded in 1992.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Discovery Laboratories Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Discovery Laboratories Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Discovery Laboratories Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Discovery Laboratories Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Discovery Laboratories Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. DISCOVERY LABORATORIES INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Major Shareholders
Discovery Laboratories Inc. History
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Offices and Representations
Discovery Laboratories Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Statistics
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Discovery Laboratories Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
Discovery Laboratories Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
Discovery Laboratories Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Discovery Laboratories Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Discovery Laboratories Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
SWOT, which stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, is an analytical framework that identifies the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable for a company.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?