- The report contains detailed information about Biogen Idec Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Biogen Idec Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Biogen Idec Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Biogen Idec Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Biogen Idec Inc. business.
About Biogen Idec Inc.
Biogen Idec, Inc. engages in the discovery, development, manufacture, and commercialization of therapies primarily in the areas of neurology, oncology, and immunology.
The companys marketed products address multiple sclerosis (MS), non-Hodgkins lymphoma (NHL), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), Crohns disease (CD), and psoriasis. It also focuses to market products into other diseases, such as chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), lupus nephritis, Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) associated vasculitis, chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), multiple myeloma, and ulcerative colitis.
The company markets and sells AVONEX worldwide for the treatment of relapsing MS. MS is a progressive neurological disease in which the body loses the ability to transmit messages along nerve cells, leading to a loss of muscle control, paralysis, and death. AVONEX is a recombinant form of a protein produced in the body by fibroblast cells in response to viral infection.
RITUXAN is a monoclonal antibody that is used worldwide to treat NHL and RA. NHL is a cancer that affects lymphocytes, which are a type of white blood cell that help to fight infection. RA is a chronic disease that occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks the bodys joints, resulting in inflammation, pain and joint damage. The company collaborates with the Roche Group, through its wholly-owned member Genentech, Inc., on the development and commercialization of RITUXAN.
TYSABRI is a monoclonal antibody (natalizumab) that was initially approved by to treat relapsing MS. TYSABRI is also approved in the U.S. to treat CD, which is an inflammatory disease of the intestines. The company collaborates with Elan Corporation plc on the development and commercialization of TYSABRI.
FUMADERM is the prescribed oral systemic treatment for severe psoriasis in Germany. Psoriasis is a skin disease in which cells build up on the skin surface and form scales and red patches.
Registrational Product Candidates
In addition to the ongoing development of its marketed products, the company has various product candidates in or near registrational stage development.
BG-12 is an oral compound that is being tested in relapsing MS. During 2009, the company completed patient enrollment in two Phase 3 trials of BG-12 in relapsing MS, known as DEFINE and CONFIRM, with the CONFIRM trial including a glatiramer acetate (COPAXONE) reference comparator arm.
Daclizumab is a monoclonal antibody that is being tested in relapsing MS. A Phase 2b trial of daclizumab in MS, known as SELECT, is underway. The SELECT trial has a one year treatment period and is expected to involve approximately 600 patients worldwide.
The company collaborates with Facet Biotech Corporation (Facet) on the development and commercialization of daclizumab. In January 2010, it agreed with its collaborator, Facet, to assume the manufacture of daclizumab and began the process of transferring from Facet the manufacturing technology necessary for it to manufacture daclizumab.
Fampridine is an oral compound that is being developed as a treatment to improve walking ability in people with MS. In December 2009, the company filed for approval of fampridine in the European Union and Canada for this indication. Fampridine was approved in the U.S. on January 22, 2010 under the trade name AMPYRA (dalfampridine). AMPYRA is indicated to improve walking in patients with MS. Acorda is developing and marketing AMPYRA in the U.S. The company collaborates with Acorda on the development and commercialization of fampridine in markets outside the U.S
GA101 is a monoclonal antibody that is being tested in CLL. The company collaborates with the Roche Group, through its wholly-owned member Genentech, on the development and commercialization of GA101.
Humanized Anti-CD20 MAb (ocrelizumab)
Ocrelizumab is a monoclonal antibody that is being tested in RA. The company and Genentech initiated four Phase 3 trials evaluating ocrelizumab in RA, known as SCRIPT, FEATURE, STAGE and FILM, and a Phase 2 trial known as CINEMA.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. BIOGEN IDEC INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. BIOGEN IDEC INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. BIOGEN IDEC INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. BIOGEN IDEC INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. BIOGEN IDEC INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Biogen Idec Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Biogen Idec Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Biogen Idec Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Biogen Idec Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Biogen Idec Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. BIOGEN IDEC INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. BIOGEN IDEC INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. BIOGEN IDEC INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. BIOGEN IDEC INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. BIOGEN IDEC INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. BIOGEN IDEC INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Biogen Idec Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Biogen Idec Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Biogen Idec Inc. Major Shareholders
Biogen Idec Inc. History
Biogen Idec Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Biogen Idec Inc. Offices and Representations
Biogen Idec Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Biogen Idec Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Biogen Idec Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
Biogen Idec Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Statistics
Biogen Idec Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Biogen Idec Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Biogen Idec Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Biogen Idec Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
Biogen Idec Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
Biogen Idec Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Biogen Idec Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Biogen Idec Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
SWOT, which stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, is an analytical framework that identifies the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable for a company.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?