- The report contains detailed information about Akorn Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Akorn Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Akorn Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Akorn Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Akorn Inc. business.
About Akorn Inc.
Akorn, Inc. manufactures and markets a line of diagnostic and therapeutic ophthalmic pharmaceuticals, as well as hospital drugs and injectable pharmaceuticals.
The company operates in four segments: Ophthalmic; Hospital Drugs & injectables; Biologics & vaccines; and Contract services.
Ophthalmic segment: The company markets a line of diagnostic and therapeutic ophthalmic pharmaceutical products. Diagnostic products, primarily used in the office setting, include mydriatics and cycloplegics, anesthetics, topical stains, gonioscopic solutions, angiography dyes and others. Therapeutic products, sold primarily to wholesalers, chain drug stores and other national account customers, include antibiotics, steroids, steroid combinations, glaucoma medications, decongestants/antihistamines and anti-edema medications. Non-pharmaceutical products include various artificial tear solutions, preservative-free lubricating ointments and eyelid cleansers.
Hospital Drugs & Injectables segment: The company markets a line of hospital drug and injectable pharmaceutical products, including antidotes, anti-infectives, controlled substances for pain management and anesthesia, and other selected pharmaceutical products. These products are sold to hospitals through the wholesale distribution channel.
Biologics & Vaccines segment: The company markets adult Td vaccines, as well as flu vaccines. These vaccines were marketed directly to hospitals and physicians, as well as through wholesalers and national distributors.
Contract Services segment: The company manufactures ophthalmic and injectable pharmaceutical products for third party pharmaceutical customers based on their specifications.
The company, in 2004, entered into an agreement with Strides Arcolab Limited (Strides), Akorn-Strides, LLC (the Joint Venture Company), of which the company and Strides are each 50% owners. The Joint Venture Company develops hospital injectable ANDA products for the U.S. hospital and alternate site markets. As a strategic partner, Strides is responsible for developing, manufacturing, and supplying products that the company would sell and market in the United States on an exclusive basis.
The company, in 2004, entered into a drug development and distribution agreement for oncology drug products for the United States and Canada with Serum Institute of India, Ltd. (Serum). Serum constructed and commissioned a new, FDA approved facility to support oncology products for distribution by the company in the United States and Canada, and by Serum to customers in other parts of the world.
The company, in 2006, entered into a 10-year exclusive agreement with Cipla, Ltd. (Cipla), an Indian pharmaceutical company located in Mumbai, India. Under the terms of the agreement, Cipla manufactures and supplies oral Vancomycin, an ANDA anti-infective in capsule form, using the companys formulation, and the company is responsible for the ANDA regulatory submission and clinical development.
The company, in 2007, entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with Massachusetts Biological Laboratories of the University of Massachusetts (MBL) for distribution of Td vaccines. MBL manufactures the Td vaccine products and the company markets and distributes the Td vaccine products on an exclusive basis in the United States and Puerto Rico.
The companys major supplier, in 2009, was Massachusetts Biologic Laboratories of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
The companys customers include physicians, optometrists, hospitals, wholesalers, group purchasing organizations, retail pharmacy chains, and other pharmaceutical companies.
The companies that compete with Ophthalmic segment include Alcon Laboratories, Inc., Allergan Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Novartis International AG, Bausch & Lomb, Inc., and Apotex, among others.
The companies that compete with hospital drugs & injectables segment include both generic and name brand companies such as Hospira, Inc., Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Fresenius Kabi, American Regent, Inc. and Baxter International, Inc.
Competitors in Biologics & vaccine market include Sanofi Aventis and GlaxoSmithKline plc.
Competitors in Contract services segment include Baxter International, Inc., Hospira, Inc., Ben Venue Laboratories, Inc. and Patheon, Inc.
Akorn, Inc. was founded in 1971.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. AKORN INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. AKORN INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. AKORN INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. AKORN INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. AKORN INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Akorn Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Akorn Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Akorn Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Akorn Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Akorn Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. AKORN INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. AKORN INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. AKORN INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. AKORN INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. AKORN INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. AKORN INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Akorn Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Akorn Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Akorn Inc. Major Shareholders
Akorn Inc. History
Akorn Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Akorn Inc. Offices and Representations
Akorn Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Akorn Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Akorn Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
Akorn Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry Statistics
Akorn Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Akorn Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Akorn Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Akorn Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
Akorn Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
Akorn Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Akorn Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Akorn Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?