- The report contains detailed information about DS Smith plc that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for DS Smith plc. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The DS Smith plc financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes DS Smith plc competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of DS Smith plc business.
About DS Smith plc
DS Smith plc is an international packaging supplier and office products wholesaler. The company has operations in approximately 18 countries.
The company has two distinct activities, Packaging and Office Products Wholesaling.
U.K. Paper and Corrugated: This segment comprises three businesses: Severnside Recycling, which collects waste paper and other materials for recycling; St Regis, which processes the waste paper to produce recycled paper, the majority of which is corrugated case material (CCM) used in the manufacture of corrugated packaging; and DS Smith Packaging, which converts CCM into corrugated board and boxes.
Severnside Recycling is the U.K. collector and merchant of waste paper, the principal raw material for producing recycled paper. In total, annually it sources 1.7 million tonnes of waste paper by means of collections through its 16 U.K. depots and open-market purchases from supermarkets and third-party waste merchants. In addition, Severnsides facilities management function provides general recycling and waste disposal services for customers in various sectors. Severnsides main sources of waste paper include supermarket groups and other retailers, other commercial and industrial organizations and local authorities. Severnside concentrates on sourcing used corrugated packaging, referred to as old corrugated containers (OCC), which is the most suitable form of waste paper for producing recycled CCM. Severnside supplies all of the 1.2 million tonnes of waste paper required by the St Regis paper mills and it sells 0.5 million tones on the open market.
St Regis four paper mills produce approximately 1.0 million tones of 100% recycled paper. St Regis is the U.K. producer of CCM, and is a producer of plasterboard liner.
DS Smith Packaging produces 1.1 billion square metres per annum of corrugated packaging at 31 factories located throughout the U.K. It is the supplier of corrugated packaging to the U.K. market. Approximately 65% of sales go into the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) sector, predominantly for food and beverages, with the remainder being principally for the consumer durables and industrial sectors.
Continental European Corrugated: In continental Europe, DS Smith Kaysersberg produces 0.5 billion square metres per annum of corrugated packaging at 13 factories located in France, Italy, Poland, Turkey, Czech Republic, and Slovakia. The bulk of its CCM requirements are sourced from third parties. DS Smith Kaysersberg produces 0.2 million tonnes of recycled paper (principally solid board for use in the manufacture of detergent boxes) at two mills in France, and one mill in Turkey. DS Smith also owns 49.6% of the paper and corrugated packaging business in Ukraine. The division purchases a range of polymers and plastic films, principally polypropylene, high density polyethylene and polycarbonate.
Plastic: The company focuses on two plastic packaging markets. DS Smith Plastics operates in industrial returnable transit packaging (RTP) and is a worldwide supplier of liquid packaging and dispensing systems (LP&D).
The companys product range includes reusable containers, boxes and pallet systems, injectionmoulded crates, and semi-finished extruded sheet. These products are supplied to the automotive, beverage, pharmaceutical and other markets from 10 locations in the U.K., France, Belgium, Spain, Poland, Czech Republic, and Slovakia.
In LP&D, the company provides bag-in-box packaging systems and injection-moulded taps and dispensers, which are supplied worldwide to the soft drinks, wine, food and other industry sectors from eight locations in the U.K., Germany, Bulgaria, the USA, Australia, and New Zealand.
Additionally, the segment contains two small speciality businesses: Packaging Management, which provides logistics services, particularly for pallet and plastic layer pad pools; and a development business, StePac, which specializes in modified atmosphere packaging for preserving the quality of fresh fruit and vegetables in transit.
Office Products Wholesaling
Spicers is a wholesaler of office products. It has operations in the U.K., Ireland, France and the Benelux region, with development businesses in Germany, Spain, and Italy. Its network of distribution centres comprises: the U.K. (9), Ireland (1), France (6), Benelux (1), Germany (2), Spain (2), and Italy (1).
Spicers provides a wholesaling service to its customer base of office products dealers and resellers, who principally supply small and mediumsized offices. It supplies approximately 12,500 dealers throughout Europe. Spicers product range supplied across Europe of up to 22,000 product lines comprises its own 5-Star brand and other branded products of traditional stationery items, electronic office supplies, office furniture, janitorial supplies, and office catering and vending provisions.
Spicers offers its dealer customers a same-day or an overnight, next-day delivery service. It also provides the dealers with marketing and promotional support.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. DS SMITH PLC COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. DS SMITH PLC BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. DS SMITH PLC SWOT ANALYSIS
4. DS SMITH PLC FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. DS SMITH PLC COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. DS Smith plc Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of DS Smith plc and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of DS Smith plc and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. DS Smith plc Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Packaging and Containers Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. DS Smith plc Industry Position Analysis
6. DS SMITH PLC NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. DS SMITH PLC EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. DS SMITH PLC ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UK PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. DS SMITH PLC IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. DS SMITH PLC PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. DS SMITH PLC VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
DS Smith plc Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
DS Smith plc Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
DS Smith plc Major Shareholders
DS Smith plc History
DS Smith plc Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
DS Smith plc Offices and Representations
DS Smith plc SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
DS Smith plc Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
DS Smith plc Capital Market Snapshot
DS Smith plc Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Packaging and Containers Industry Statistics
DS Smith plc Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
DS Smith plc Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
DS Smith plc Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
DS Smith plc 1-year Stock Charts
DS Smith plc 5-year Stock Charts
DS Smith plc vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
DS Smith plc vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
DS Smith plc Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?