- The report contains detailed information about Xstrata plc that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Xstrata plc. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Xstrata plc financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Xstrata plc competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Xstrata plc business.
About Xstrata plc
Xstrata plc operates as a global diversified mining group in Switzerland and internationally. The company focuses on copper, coking coal, thermal coal, ferrochrome, nickel, vanadium, zinc, gold, cobalt, lead, and silver metals.
Xstrata Alloys produces ferrochrome and vanadium. It also has a platinum group metals business. Xstrata Alloys also owns carbon and anthracite operations, which supply key raw materials to its ferrochrome smelters. Xstrata Alloys operations are located in South Africa. The principal end-use of vanadium is as an alloying agent in steel. Xstrata produces vanadium pentoxide and ferrovanadium, which are sold to an international customer base. Platinum Group Metals (PGMs) comprise platinum, palladium, rhodium, iridium, ruthenium, and osmium. PGMs are used in auto catalysts and fuel cells, providing cleaner energy. Other key markets include jewellery, and industrial and consumer products.
Xstrata Coal is an exporter of thermal coal. It also produces hard coking coal and semi-soft coal. Xstrata Coal has interests in approximately 30 operating coal mines in Australia, South Africa, and Colombia; and an exploration project in Nova Scotia, Canada. Xstratas Australian thermal coal operations supply major power generation companies in the Asia-Pacific region, while its Australian metallurgical coal mines supply major steelmakers worldwide. Xstratas South African coal operations supply the Atlantic thermal coal market, where Europe is the major export destination. In Colombia, Xstrata has acquired Prodeco and also owns a one-third stake in the Cerrejón mine, both of which export high grade thermal coal to Europe and the Americas.
Xstrata Copper is an integrated producer of copper metal and concentrate, and mined copper. Xstratas excess copper concentrate production is sold to custom copper smelters in South America, Asia, and Europe. Xstrata Coppers refined copper metal cathodes are sold to producers of industrial products and traders in major copper consuming regions. Cathodes are predominantly used in the manufacture of copper wire rod for electrical conductor applications. The company has mining and processing facilities located in Australia, Chile, Peru, Argentina, and Canada. It also manages a recycling business with plants in the U.S.A. Xstrata Copper has a portfolio of six copper development projects, located in Peru, the Philippines, Chile, Argentina, and Papua New Guinea.
Xstrata Nickel produces nickel and cobalt. Xstrata Nickels operations include mines and processing facilities in Canada, the Dominican Republic, and Australia; and a refinery in Norway. Xstrata Nickel has a promising portfolio of growth projects in Canada, Tanzania and New Caledonia. Xstrata Nickels Nikkelverk refinery in Norway produces high grade purity nickel and cobalt from material sourced from Xstrata Nickels mining operations in Canada and Australia. The high grade nickel produced at Nikkelverk is typically sold into first end-use applications, such as high nickel alloys, superalloys, low alloy steel, foundry, and electroforming. Cobalt from Nikkelverk is typically sold into such end-use applications, such as aerospace, land-based turbines, and electronics.
Xstrata Zinc mines and produces zinc and lead concentrate, zinc and lead metal, and silver. Xstrata Zincs operations span Spain, Germany, Australia, the U.K., and Canada, with an interest in the Antamina copper-zinc mine in Peru. Xstrata Zincs growth projects include interests in Australia. The zinc metal produced globally is used to galvanise steel. Zinc is also used in the manufacture of die-cast alloys, brass and the production of zinc oxides and chemicals. The majority of Xstratas zinc metal production is sold under term contracts to the EU, Canada, and the U.S. Zinc concentrates are sold mainly to Japan, South Korea, China, Australia, and Europe.
Xstrata Technology Services supports the processes involved in mining. It comprises Xstrata Technology, based in Brisbane, a specialist technology solutions provider and Xstrata Process Support, based in Sudbury, an independent group which provides specialized technological support both to the companys operations and to third-party customers.
The company's competitors include Anglo American Alcoa Inc; BHP Billiton; Arch Coal Inc; Rio Tinto Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (Vale); Copper & Gold Inc; Eramet SA; Freeport McMoRan; Grupo Mexico SA de CV; Impala Platinum Holdings Ltd; Korea Zinc Inc; MMC Norilsk Nickel; Nordeutsche Affinerie AG; Peabody Energy Corp; Teck Cominco Ltd; and Vedanta Resources plc.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. XSTRATA PLC COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. XSTRATA PLC BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. XSTRATA PLC SWOT ANALYSIS
4. XSTRATA PLC FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. XSTRATA PLC COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Xstrata plc Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Xstrata plc and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Xstrata plc and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Xstrata plc Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Metals & Mining Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Xstrata plc Industry Position Analysis
6. XSTRATA PLC NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. XSTRATA PLC EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. XSTRATA PLC ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. SWITZERLAND PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. XSTRATA PLC IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. XSTRATA PLC PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. XSTRATA PLC VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Xstrata plc Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Xstrata plc Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Xstrata plc Major Shareholders
Xstrata plc History
Xstrata plc Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Xstrata plc Offices and Representations
Xstrata plc SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Xstrata plc Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Xstrata plc Capital Market Snapshot
Xstrata plc Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Metals & Mining Industry Statistics
Xstrata plc Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Xstrata plc Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Xstrata plc Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Xstrata plc 1-year Stock Charts
Xstrata plc 5-year Stock Charts
Xstrata plc vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Xstrata plc vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Xstrata plc Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
SWOT, which stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, is an analytical framework that identifies the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable for a company.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?