- The report contains detailed information about POSCO that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for POSCO. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The POSCO financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes POSCO competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of POSCO business.
POSCO engages in the manufacture and sale of various steel products in primarily in South Korea. The companys steel products include hot rolled and cold rolled products, plates, wire rods, silicon steel sheets, and stainless steel products. It servers a range of customer needs from manufacturing industries that consume steel, including automotive, shipbuilding, home appliance, engineering, and machinery industries.
The company has produced approximately 31.7 million tons of crude steel in 2009 primarily at its steel facilities, Pohang Works and Gwangyang Works. Pohang Works has an annual crude steel and stainless steel production capacity of 15.0 million tons, and Gwangyang Works has an annual crude steel production capacity of 18.0 million tons.
Hot Rolled Products: Hot rolled coils and sheets have different industrial applications. They are used to manufacture structural steel used in the construction of buildings, industrial pipes and tanks, and automobile chassis. Hot rolled coil also manufactures a range of widths and thickness as the feedstock for value-added products, such as cold rolled products and silicon steel sheets. The primary customers of its hot rolled products are downstream steelmakers in Korea who use the products to manufacture pipes and cold rolled products.
Plates: Plates are used in shipbuilding, structural steelwork, offshore oil and gas production, power generation, mining, and the manufacture of earth-moving and mechanical handling equipment, boiler and pressure vessels, and other industrial machinery. The Korean shipbuilding industry, which uses plates to manufacture chemical tankers, rigs, bulk carriers and containers, and the construction industry are its major customers of plates.
Wire Rods: Wire rods are used by manufacturers of wire, fasteners, nails, bolts, nuts, and welding rods. Wire rods are also used in the manufacture of coil springs, tension bars, and tire cords in the automotive industry. The major customers for its wire rods are manufacturers of wire ropes and fasteners.
Cold Rolled Products: Cold rolled coils and further refined galvanized cold rolled products are used in the automotive industry to produce car body panels. Other users include the household goods, electrical appliances, engineering, and metal goods industries.
Silicon Steel Sheets: Silicon steel sheets are used mainly in the manufacture of power transformers and generators, and rotating machines.
Stainless Steel Products: Stainless steel products are used to manufacture household goods and are also used by the chemical industry, paper mills, the aviation industry, the automotive industry, the construction industry, and the food processing industry.
Others: Other products include lower value-added semi-finished products, such as pig iron, billets, blooms, and slab.
Subsidiaries and Global Joint Ventures
The company has established POSCO Specialty Steel Co., Ltd. as a wholly-owned subsidiary in Korea. POSCO Specialty Steel produces steel products for the automotive, machinery, nuclear power plant, shipbuilding, aeronautics, and electronics industries. Production facilities operated by POSCO Specialty Steel have an aggregate annual production capacity of 842 thousand tons of wire rods, round bars, steel pipes, and semi-finished products.
The company has also established POSCO Coated and Color Sheet Co., Ltd., which produces 600 thousand tons a year of both galvanized and aluminized steel sheets used in the construction, automotive parts, and home appliances industries. POSCO Coated and Color Sheet also produce color sheets with an annual capacity of 350 thousand tons, which are used for interior and exterior materials and home appliances.
The company entered into an agreement with Sagang Group Co. to establish Zhangjiagang Pohang Stainless Steel Co., Ltd., a joint venture company in China for the manufacture and sale of stainless cold rolled steel products. The company has an 82.5% interest in the joint venture (including 23.9% interest held by POSCO China Holding Corporation).
The company has entered into a joint venture agreement with Benxi Iron
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. POSCO COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. POSCO BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. POSCO SWOT ANALYSIS
4. POSCO FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. POSCO COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. POSCO Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of POSCO and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of POSCO and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. POSCO Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Metals & Mining Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. POSCO Industry Position Analysis
6. POSCO NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. POSCO EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. POSCO ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. SOUTH KOREA PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. POSCO IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. POSCO PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. POSCO VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
POSCO Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
POSCO Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
POSCO Major Shareholders
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
POSCO Offices and Representations
POSCO SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
POSCO Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
POSCO Capital Market Snapshot
POSCO Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Metals & Mining Industry Statistics
POSCO Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
POSCO Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
POSCO Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
POSCO 1-year Stock Charts
POSCO 5-year Stock Charts
POSCO vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
POSCO vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
POSCO Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
SWOT, which stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, is an analytical framework that identifies the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable for a company.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?