- The report contains detailed information about James River Coal Co. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for James River Coal Co.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The James River Coal Co. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes James River Coal Co. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of James River Coal Co. business.
About James River Coal Co.
James River Coal Company, through its subsidiaries, engages in mining, processing, and selling bituminous, steam, and industrial-grade coal in eastern Kentucky and southern Indiana. As of December 31, 2009, the companys 6 mining complexes included 14 underground mines, 10 surface mines and 10 preparation plants, 5 of which have integrated rail loadout facilities and 3 of which use a common loadout facility at a separate location.
The companys coal production is conducted through five mining complexes in the Central Appalachia Region and one mining complex in the Midwest Region.
Bell County: The Bell County complex is located in Bell County in eastern Kentucky. The company uses room and pillar mining and mines the Jellico and Garmedia seams of coal. Coal is processed at its preparation plant and loaded into railcars via an integrated four-hour unit train loadout that is serviced by both the CSX and Norfolk Southern railroads.
Bledsoe: The Bledsoe complex is located in Leslie and Harlan counties in eastern Kentucky. The company uses room and pillar mining and mines the Hazard #4 and #4 Rider seams of coal at this complex. Coal is processed at one of two preparation plants and loaded into railcars at a separate location via a four-hour unit train loadout on the CSX railroad.
Blue Diamond: The Blue Diamond is located in Leslie, Perry and Letcher counties in eastern Kentucky. The company uses room and pillar mining for its underground mine and uses the contour and highwall method for its surface mine. The company mines the Hazard #4 and Elkhorn #3 at this complex. Coal is processed at its preparation plant, and loaded into railcars via an integrated four-hour unit train loadout on the CSX railroad.
Leeco: The Leeco is located in Knott and Perry counties in eastern Kentucky. The companys underground mines use room and pillar mining and its surface mine uses the contour and highwall mining methods. The company mines the Amburgy seam of coal and the Hazard #4, #5, #6, #7, #8 and #9 seams at this complex. Coal is processed at its preparation plant and loaded into railcars via an integrated four-hour unit train loadout on the CSX railroad.
McCoy Elkhorn: The McCoy Elkhorn complex is located in Pike and Floyd counties in eastern Kentucky. The companys underground mines use room and pillar mining and its surface mine uses the contour mining methods. The company mines the Millard, Elkhorn #2 and Elkhorn #3 seams at this complex. Coal is processed at one of its two preparation plants and loaded into railcars via integrated four-hour unit train loadouts on the CSX railroad.
Triad: The Triad is located in Pike and Knox counties in southern Indiana. The company uses room and pillar mining to mine the Springfield seam of coal, and use the surface mine method to mine multiple seams, including the Danville, Millersburg, Hymera, Bucktown and Springfield seams. Coal is processed at one of three active preparation plants and loaded into trucks for delivery to the customer or by rail at its Switz City loadout. The Switz City loadout is serviced by Indiana Railroad and the Indiana Southern Railroad. The company is primarily responsible for the reclamation activities involved with all contractor-operated mines.
The companys major customers include Georgia Power Company and South Carolina Public Service Authority
James River Coal Company was founded in 1988.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. James River Coal Co. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of James River Coal Co. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of James River Coal Co. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. James River Coal Co. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Energy Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. James River Coal Co. Industry Position Analysis
6. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. JAMES RIVER COAL CO. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
James River Coal Co. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
James River Coal Co. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
James River Coal Co. Major Shareholders
James River Coal Co. History
James River Coal Co. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
James River Coal Co. Offices and Representations
James River Coal Co. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
James River Coal Co. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
James River Coal Co. Capital Market Snapshot
James River Coal Co. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Energy Industry Statistics
James River Coal Co. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
James River Coal Co. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
James River Coal Co. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
James River Coal Co. 1-year Stock Charts
James River Coal Co. 5-year Stock Charts
James River Coal Co. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
James River Coal Co. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
James River Coal Co. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?