- The report contains detailed information about International Coal Group, Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for International Coal Group, Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The International Coal Group, Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes International Coal Group, Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of International Coal Group, Inc. business.
About International Coal Group, Inc.
International Coal Group, Inc. produces coal in Northern and Central Appalachia with a range of mid to high Btu, low to medium sulfur steam, and metallurgical coal. As of December 31, 2009, the company owned or controlled approximately 325 million tons of metallurgical quality coal reserves and approximately 765 million tons of steam coal reserves.
The company has three business segments, which are based on the coal regions in which it operates, including Central Appalachian, comprising both surface and underground mines; Northern Appalachian, comprising both surface and underground mines; and Illinois Basin, representing one underground mine.
As of December 31, 2009, the company operated a total of 11 surface and 11 underground coal mines located in Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Illinois.
Northern and Central Appalachian Mining Operations
The companys Northern and Central Appalachian mining facilities and reserves are located across West Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia, and Ohio and are used to produce and ship coal to its customers located primarily in the eastern half of the United States.
Eastern: Eastern operates the Birch River surface mine, located 60 miles east of Charleston, near Cowen in Webster County, West Virginia. Birch River is extracting coal from the Freeport, Upper Kittanning, Middle Kittanning, Upper Clarion, and Lower Clarion coalbeds. The Birch River controls 9.7 million tons of coal reserves.
Hazard: Hazard operates seven surface mines, a unit train loadout (Kentucky River Loading) and other support facilities in eastern Kentucky, near Hazard. Hazards four surface mines include East Mac & Nellie, Rowdy Gap, Sam Campbell and Thunder Ridge. The coal from these mines is being extracted from the Hazard 10, Hazard 9, Hazard 8, Hazard 7 and Hazard 5A seams. The company estimates that Hazard controls 64.5 million tons of coal reserves, plus 8.0 million tons of coal that is classified as non-reserve coal deposits.
Flint Ridge: Flint Ridge, located near Breathitt County, Kentucky, was operating one underground mine and one preparation plant. The underground mine operates in the Hazard 8 seam. The majority of the processed coal is trucked to the Kentucky River Loading rail loadout. The company estimates that Flint Ridge controls 23.4 million tons of coal reserves, plus 0.9 million tons of non-reserve coal deposits.
Knott County: Knott County operates two underground mines, the Supreme Energy preparation plant and rail loadout and other facilities necessary to support the mining operations in eastern Kentucky, near Kite. Knott County owns certain reserves in fee with the remaining reserves being leased from a number of lessors.
Knott County is producing coal from the Hazard 4 and Elkhorn 3 coal seams. The Calvary mine is operating in the Hazard 4 coal seam, and the Classic mine is operating in the Elkhorn 3 coal seam. Two additional properties are in the process of being permitted for underground mine development.
Raven: Raven, located in Knott County, Kentucky, operates two underground mines and the Raven preparation plant. Ravens two underground mines are producing coal from the Elkhorn 2 coal seam. The company estimates Raven controls 10.2 million tons of coal reserves.
East Kentucky: East Kentucky is a surface mining operation located in Martin and Pike Counties, Kentucky, near the Tug Fork River. East Kentucky operates the Mt. Sterling and Peelpoplar surface mines and the Sandlick loadout. The Mt. Sterling mine controls 1.5 million tons of coal reserves. Peelpoplar is a surface mine that produces coal using contour mining from the Little Fireclay and Whitesburg Middle coal seams that control 0.1 million tons of coal reserves.
Beckley: The Beckley Pocahontas Mine is located in Central Appalachia in Raleigh County, West Virginia. The Beckley Pocahontas mine accesses a 31.3 million-ton deep reserve of low-volatile metallurgical coal in the Pocahontas No. 3 seam. Majority of the 16,800 acre Beckley reserve is leased from three land companies, including Western Pocahontas Properties, Crab Orchard Coal Company, and Beaver C
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. International Coal Group, Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of International Coal Group, Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of International Coal Group, Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. International Coal Group, Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Energy Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. International Coal Group, Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. INTERNATIONAL COAL GROUP, INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
International Coal Group, Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
International Coal Group, Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
International Coal Group, Inc. Major Shareholders
International Coal Group, Inc. History
International Coal Group, Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
International Coal Group, Inc. Offices and Representations
International Coal Group, Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
International Coal Group, Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
International Coal Group, Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
International Coal Group, Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Energy Industry Statistics
International Coal Group, Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
International Coal Group, Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
International Coal Group, Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
International Coal Group, Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
International Coal Group, Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
International Coal Group, Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
International Coal Group, Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
International Coal Group, Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?