- The report contains detailed information about HMV Group plc that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for HMV Group plc. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The HMV Group plc financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes HMV Group plc competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of HMV Group plc business.
About HMV Group plc
HMV Group plc engages in retailing of pre-recorded music, DVD and VHS video and electronic games under the HMV brand and retailing of books principally under the Waterstones brand. As of April 2005, the company operated approximately 588 stores in 9 territories.
As of April 2005, HMV Group operated 588 shops around the World and total retail floor space of 3.4 million sq ft. The company mainly operates its stores in the U.K. and Ireland, Canada and Japan, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Waterstones operates from stores in the U.K. and Ireland and from two specialist English-language bookstores in the Netherlands (Amsterdam) and Belgium (Brussels)
HMV: HMV operates as a major retailer of music, video and games. HMV focuses on providing an authoritative range and depth of selection that is superior to that of its competitors, including hard-to-find recordings and back catalogue titles.
Waterstone's: Waterstone's operates as a retailer of street range of books, and enthusiastic and knowledgeable booksellers. Waterstone's tries to provide a welcoming and enjoyable environment in which customers can browse and choose books.
HMV UK & Ireland operates through 179 stores. HMV supports emerging artists, including The Darkness, Franz Ferdinand, Joss Stone and Jamie Cullum, who all performed live in HMV stores.
HMV Asia Pacific operates through 85 stores, with 45 in Japan, 34 in Australia and a total six stores in Hong Kong and Singapore.
HMV North Americas operates through 99 stores, which are located in Canada.
Waterstones operates through 193 stores, primarily in the UK, of which 33 are academic stores. Waterstones has a co-branded Waterstones and amazon Internet transaction platform, hosted and run by amazon under an exclusive agreement.
Mama Group Plc has formed a joint venture with HMV Group plc. Under the terms of the agreement, MAMA Group is disposing of its interests in a range of subsidiary operating companies to the new joint venture company Mean Fiddler Group Limited. The operating subsidiaries are responsible for the ownership and operation of The Hammersmith Apollo, The Forum, The Garage, Jazz Cafe, The Edinburgh Picture House, The Birmingham Institute, Heaven, G-A-Y Bar, G-A-Y Late, The Borderline, and Aberdeen's Moshulu.
The companys main competitors in music and video are, in the UK, Virgin, WH Smith, Woolworths, the supermarkets (principally Tesco and Asda) and the independent specialists Music Zone and Fopp. In its international markets, the competitors include Shinseido, Tsutaya, Tower Records and Virgin in Japan, and Music World, Sunrise, Future Shop, Wal*Mart and Best Buy in Canada. Waterstones main competitors are WH Smith, Borders (including Books etc), Ottakars (including Hammicks), and Amazon.co.uk.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. HMV GROUP PLC COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. HMV GROUP PLC BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. HMV GROUP PLC SWOT ANALYSIS
4. HMV GROUP PLC FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. HMV GROUP PLC COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. HMV Group plc Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of HMV Group plc and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of HMV Group plc and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. HMV Group plc Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Retail Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. HMV Group plc Industry Position Analysis
6. HMV GROUP PLC NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. HMV GROUP PLC EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. HMV GROUP PLC ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UK PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. HMV GROUP PLC IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. HMV GROUP PLC PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. HMV GROUP PLC VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
HMV Group plc Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
HMV Group plc Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
HMV Group plc Major Shareholders
HMV Group plc History
HMV Group plc Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
HMV Group plc Offices and Representations
HMV Group plc SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
HMV Group plc Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
HMV Group plc Capital Market Snapshot
HMV Group plc Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Retail Industry Statistics
HMV Group plc Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
HMV Group plc Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
HMV Group plc Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
HMV Group plc 1-year Stock Charts
HMV Group plc 5-year Stock Charts
HMV Group plc vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
HMV Group plc vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
HMV Group plc Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?