- The report contains detailed information about Design Within Reach Inc. that gives an unrivalled in-depth knowledge about internal business-environment of the company: data about the owners, senior executives, locations, subsidiaries, markets, products, and company history.
- Another part of the report is a SWOT-analysis carried out for Design Within Reach Inc.. It involves specifying the objective of the company's business and identifies the different factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. SWOT-analysis helps to understand company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and possible threats against it.
- The Design Within Reach Inc. financial analysis covers the income statement and ratio trend-charts with balance sheets and cash flows presented on an annual and quarterly basis. The report outlines the main financial ratios pertaining to profitability, margin analysis, asset turnover, credit ratios, and company’s long-term solvency. This sort of company's information will assist and strengthen your company’s decision-making processes.
- In the part that describes Design Within Reach Inc. competitors and the industry in whole, the information about company's financial ratios is compared to those of its competitors and to the industry. The unique analysis of the market and company’s competitors along with detailed information about the internal and external factors affecting the relevant industry will help to manage your business environment. Your company’s business and sales activities will be boosted by gaining an insight into your competitors’ businesses.
- Also the report provides relevant news, an analysis of PR-activity, and stock price movements. The latter are correlated with pertinent news and press releases, and annual and quarterly forecasts are given by a variety of experts and market research firms. Such information creates your awareness about principal trends of Design Within Reach Inc. business.
About Design Within Reach Inc.
Design Within Reach, Inc. is a retailer of distinctive design products to both residential and commercial customers. The companys clients purchase through three integrated sales points, consisting of its studios, Web site and phone.
The companys product offering includes an assortment of chairs and tables, workspace and outdoor furniture, lighting, floor coverings, bedroom furnishings and related accessories, bathroom fixtures, fans and other home and office accessories. Its merchandise offering are grouped into the following general product designations:
These are products recognized throughout the design community and by residential and commercial consumers as examples of historically significant designs. Examples of design icons that the company offers are:
Noguchi Table This is a practical glass-top table for commercial or residential use in which two simple, smoothly shaped solid wood pieces interlock to form a tripod that supports a three-quarter inch slab of transparent glass.
Arco Floor Lamp This is a classic modern lighting design characterized by the dramatic arc of its stainless steel stem and the counterpoint provided by the substantial Carrara marble base. The lamp is designed to provide overhead lighting without ceiling suspension, and its light intensity makes it useful for reading, working or dining.
Commissioned and Exclusive Designs
These are products that the company has commissioned or developed, and the company is the sole supplier in the United States. Examples of commissioned and exclusive designs that the company offers are:
Flight Recliner The Flight Recliner has none of the bulkiness of a traditional recliner and is targeted for its urban customer.
Theater Sofa Collection This sofa collection is targeted for both the residential and commercial customer.
Globus Chair This is a dining chair designed for both commercial and residential use. The chair has a stainless steel frame and wood lacquer back and stacks up to five chairs high.
Matera Bed with Storage This is a storage bed crafted of thick American walnut featuring quiet drawers with vacuum-closing glides. The Matera Collection includes beds, case goods and a mirror.
Sliding Sofa This is a sofa with lines and modern proportions that transforms into a two-person bed by sliding the base of the sofa out from the backrest. Its seat cushions and backrest provide the platform for both sitting and sleeping, and it also comes with two large feather-filled pillows. The upholstery is fully removable for cleaning, and the aluminum frame is fitted with two casters for mobility.
Kyoto Chair A chair constructed with beech wood, with an unusual broad back. The Kyoto Chair is named as it is a café chair in Japan.
Cubitec Shelving This is a modular shelving system consisting of lightweight polypropylene panels, which may be assembled into multiple configurations of cubes. Each kit contains 18 panels to create six cubes, which can be attached vertically or horizontally. The shelving comes in various colors and can be used in a wide-range of residential and commercial environments.
Nelson Ball Clock This is a 13 inch diameter circular clock, the circumference of which is comprised of 12 small balls each connected by a rod to the clocks center.
PH5 Pendant Lamp This is a hanging ceiling lamp that has been used in Europe. The lamps shade is comprised of layers of varying sizes and shapes that direct light both horizontally and vertically. The lamp is compact enough to allow multiple lamps to be hung in the same setting and can be used in both residential and commercial applications.
DWR:Tools for Living
This category features approximately 700 products. In 2008, the company opened two DWR:Tools for Living stores to further test market acceptance of this product line.
The company conducts business with approximately 300 designers and manufacturers. In 2008, its major supplier was Herman Miller, Inc.
The company faces competition from several sources, including the following: modern design companies selling solely through catalog and online, such as Oriac Design Corp. and Topdeq Corporation; regional retailers specializing in modern design, such as Limn, The Magazine, Moss and Slater/Marinoff & Co.; national or multinational retailers such as Crate & Barrel, Ethan Allen Interiors, Inc., Home Decorators Collection, West Elm (divisions of Williams-Sonoma, Inc.), Restoration Hardware, Inc. and Room & Board, Inc.; and manufacturers whose products the company sell, such as Cassina S.p.A., Herman Miller, Inc., Kartell U.S. Inc., Knoll, Inc., Steelcase, Inc. and Vitra Inc., selling through other authorized dealerships.
Design Within Reach, Inc. was founded in 1998.
The above Company Fundamental Report is a half-ready report and contents are subject to change.
It means that we have all necessary data in our database to prepare the report but need 2-3 days to complete it. During this time we are also updating the report with respect to the current moment. So, you can get all the most recent data available for the same price. Please note that preparation of additional types of analyses requires extra time.
1. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. COMPANY PROFILE
1.1. Key facts
1.2. Financial Performance
1.3. Key Executives
1.4. Ownership and Major Holders
1.5. Company History
2. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. BUSINESS OVERVIEW
2.1. Business Description
2.2. Major Products and Services
2.3. Markets and Sales Activities
2.4. Locations, Subsidiaries, Operating Units
3. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. SWOT ANALYSIS
4. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
4.1. Financial Statements
4.1.1. Income Statement
4.1.2. Balance Sheet
4.1.3. Cash Flow
4.2. Financial Ratios
4.2.2. Margin Analysis
4.2.3. Asset Turnover
4.2.4. Credit Ratios
4.2.5. Long-Term Solvency
4.2.6. Growth Over Prior Year
4.2.7. Financial Ratios Charts
4.3. Stock Market Snapshot
5. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. COMPETITORS AND INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
5.1. Design Within Reach Inc. Direct Competitors
5.2. Comparison of Design Within Reach Inc. and Direct Competitors Financial Ratios
5.3. Comparison of Design Within Reach Inc. and Direct Competitors Stock Charts
5.4. Design Within Reach Inc. Industry Analysis
5.4.1. Retail Industry Snapshot
5.4.2. Design Within Reach Inc. Industry Position Analysis
6. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. NEWS & EVENTS
6.1. News & PR Activity Analysis
6.2. IR Corporate News
6.3. Marketing News
6.4. Corporate Events
7. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. EXPERTS REVIEW1
7.1. Experts Opinion
7.2. Experts Estimates
8. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. ENHANCED SWOT ANALYSIS2
9. UNITED STATES PESTEL ANALYSIS2
9.1. Political Factors
9.2. Economic Factors
9.3. Social Factors
9.4. Technological Factors
9.5. Environmental Factors
9.6. Legal Factors
10. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. IFE, EFE, IE MATRICES2
10.1. Internal Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.2. External Factor Evaluation Matrix
10.3. Internal External Matrix
11. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. PORTER FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS2
12. DESIGN WITHIN REACH INC. VRIO ANALYSIS2
APPENDIX: RATIO DEFINITIONS
LIST OF TABLES
Design Within Reach Inc. Key Facts
Income Statement Key Figures
Balance Sheet Key Figures
Cash Flow Statement Key Figures
Financial Performance Abbreviation Guide
Design Within Reach Inc. Key Executives
Key Executives Biographies1
Key Executives Compensations1
Design Within Reach Inc. Major Shareholders
Design Within Reach Inc. History
Design Within Reach Inc. Products
Revenues by Segment
Revenues by Region
Design Within Reach Inc. Offices and Representations
Design Within Reach Inc. SWOT Analysis
Yearly Income Statement Including Trends
Income Statement Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Balance Sheet Including Trends
Balance Sheet Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Yearly Cash Flow Including Trends
Cash Flow Latest 4 Quarters Including Trends
Design Within Reach Inc. Profitability Ratios
Margin Analysis Ratios
Asset Turnover Ratios
Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Financial Ratios Growth Over Prior Year
Design Within Reach Inc. Capital Market Snapshot
Design Within Reach Inc. Direct Competitors Key Facts
Direct Competitors Profitability Ratios
Direct Competitors Margin Analysis Ratios
Direct Competitors Asset Turnover Ratios
Direct Competitors Credit Ratios
Direct Competitors Long-Term Solvency Ratios
Retail Industry Statistics
Design Within Reach Inc. Industry Position
Company vs. Industry Income Statement Analysis
Company vs. Industry Balance Sheet Analysis
Company vs. Industry Cash Flow Analysis
Company vs. Industry Ratios Comparison
Design Within Reach Inc. Consensus Recommendations1
Analyst Recommendation Summary1
Price Target Summary1
Experts Recommendation Trends1
Revenue Estimates Analysis1
Earnings Estimates Analysis1
Revenue Estimates Trend1
Earnings Estimates Trend1
LIST OF FIGURES
Design Within Reach Inc. Annual Revenues in Comparison with Cost of Goods Sold and Gross Profit
Profit Margin Chart
Operating Margin Chart
Return on Equity (ROE) Chart
Return on Assets (ROA) Chart
Debt to Equity Chart
Current Ratio Chart
Design Within Reach Inc. 1-year Stock Charts
Design Within Reach Inc. 5-year Stock Charts
Design Within Reach Inc. vs. Main Indexes 1-year Stock Chart
Design Within Reach Inc. vs. Direct Competitors 1-year Stock Charts
Design Within Reach Inc. Article Density Chart
1 – Data availability depends on company’s security policy.
2 – These sections are available only when you purchase a report with appropriate additional types of analyses.
The complete financial data is available for publicly traded companies.
SWOT, which stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats, is an analytical framework that identifies the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable for a company.
Enhanced SWOT Analysis
Enhanced SWOT is a 3×3 grid that arranges strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats into one scheme:
- How to use the strengths to take advantage of the opportunities?
- How to use the strengths to reduce likelihood and impact of the threats?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that obstruct taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How to overcome the weaknesses that can make the threats a reality?
Upon answering these questions a company can develop a project plan to improve its business performance.
PESTEL (also termed as PESTLE) is an ideal tool to strategically analyze what influence different outside factors – political, economic, sociocultural, technological, environmental and legal – exert on a business to later chart its long term targets.
Being part of the external analysis when carrying out a strategic assessment or performing a market study, PESTEL gives an overview of diverse macro-environmental factors that any company should thoughtfully consider. By perceiving these outside environments, businesses can maximally benefit from the opportunities while minimizing the threats to the organization.
Key Factors Examined by PESTEL Analysis:
- Political – What opportunities and pressures are brought by political bodies and what is the degree of public regulations’ impact on the business?
- Economic – What economic policies, trends and structures are expected to affect the organization, what is this influence’s degree?
- Sociological – What cultural and societal aspects will work upon the demand for the business’s products and operations?
- Technological – What impact do the technological aspects, innovations, incentives and barriers have on the organization?
- Environmental – What environmental and ecological facets, both locally and farther afield, are likely to predetermine the business?
- Legal – What laws and legislation will exert influence on the style the business is carried out?
IFE, EFE, IE Matrices
The Internal Factor Evaluation matrix (IFE matrix) is a strategic management tool helping audit or evaluate major weaknesses and strengths in a business’s functional areas. In addition, IFE matrix serves as a basis for identifying and assessing relationships amongst those areas. The IFE matrix is utilised in strategy formulation.
The External Factor Evaluation matrix (EFE matrix) is a tool of strategic management that is typically utilised to assess current market conditions. It is an ideal instrument for visualising and prioritising the threats and opportunities a firm is facing.
The essential difference between the above mentioned matrices lies in the type of factors incorporated in the model; whilst the latter is engaged in internal factors, the former deals exceptionally with external factors – those exposed to social, political, economic, legal, etc. external forces.
Being a continuation of the EFE matrix and IFE matrix models, the Internal External matrix (IE matrix) rests upon an investigation of external and internal business factors integrated into one suggestive model.
Porter Five Forces Analysis
The Porter’s five forces analysis studies the industry of operation and helps the company find new sources of competitive advantage. The analysis surveys an industry through five major questions:
- What composes a threat of substitute products and services?
- Is there a threat of new competitors entering the market?
- What is the intensity of competitive rivalry?
- How big is the bargaining power of buyers?
- How significant is the bargaining power of suppliers?
VRIO stands for Value, Rarity, Imitability, Organization. This analysis helps to evaluate all company’s resources and capabilities and bring them together into one aggregate table that includes:
- Tangible resources
- Intangible resources
- Innovation and Creativity
- Organizational capabilities
The result of the analysis gives a clear picture of company’s competitive and economic implications, answering the questions if the resources mentioned above are:
- Costly to imitate?
- Organized properly?