GlobalData’s Tourism Source Market Insight: Mexico report provides a thorough insight into Mexico’s domestic and outbound tourism market. The report looks at the profiles of Mexican tourists and summarizes the key reasons that they travel. The report offers an in-depth analysis of traveler flows, spending patterns, main destination markets and current and future opportunities for tourism businesses seeking to tap into the Mexican outbound travel market.
- This report is part of GlobalData's Source Market Insights Series. This report provides an in-depth analysis of traveler flows, spending patterns, main destination markets, as well as current and future opportunities for tourism businesses seeking to tap into the Mexican outbound travel market.
- This report provides clear insight into developments in Mexico's domestic and outbound tourism markets.
- The report uses data and analysis to discuss future trends related to domestic trips, international departures, traveler spending, and main destination markets.
- The report explores the different profiles of Mexican tourists and the reasons that they travel, hence providing an insight into the trends in different segments of the market.
- The reader gains a strong understanding of the opportunities in the country, as well as the risks, to support better business decisions.
NOTE: Out of security concerns GlobalData requires using corporate email address.
At a glance: The Mexican traveler market in 2018
Country Risk analysis
What motivates Mexican travelers?
An insight into the Mexican traveler
Identifying the main destination markets
Where did Mexicans travel in 2018?
Main destination markets
Developing destinations in focus: Europe
Developing destination in focus: Morocco
Potential opportunities to attract the Mexican traveler
Terminology and definitions
About the author
GlobalData at a glance
The number of Mexican travelers spending on outbound travel is set to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.43% from US$13.6bn in 2018 to US$16.9bn in 2023, according to GlobalData.
GlobalData’s latest report: ‘Tourism Source Market Insight: Mexico’ reveals that this growth is driven by increasing employment opportunities and rising standards within health care and education.
Domestic travel has surged ahead of outbound trips within Mexico with 267 million domestic trips in 2018 compared to only 20.3 million outbound trips. However, all forms of tourism within and out of Mexico are predicted a slowdown in growth over the coming years. On the other hand, total expenditure alongside the average length of stay is increasing.
Johanna Bonhill-Smith, Travel & Tourism Analyst at GlobalData, comments: “As the education system has improved, the spending power of the Mexican traveler has advanced enabling travelers to not only spend more but increase the length of their stay.”
Transport for both domestic (US$32.9bn) and outbound (US$5.1bn) dominated expenditure patterns in 2018. However, GlobalData’s report discovered that retail and foodservice are higher spending priorities over entertainment and sightseeing for all forms of travel. Therefore, Destination Management Organisations and local authorities should promote experiences related to both gastronomy and retail opportunities when appealing to Mexican travelers.
Due to Donald Trump’s electoral campaign in 2016 and perceived hostility, Mexican travelers began venturing to further destinations. Canada experienced a growth in inbound travelers with a 35% increase between 2016 and 2017, and by 20% in 2018 reaching 342,000 inbound Mexican travelers. However, the US will continue to be the main destination for Mexican travelers mainly due to accessibility and proximity.
Bonhill-Smith concludes: “Established destinations throughout Europe such as Italy, Spain and France have also received an influx of Mexican travelers over previous years. Marketing bodies should tap into this traveler market as their spending power develops and connectivity between destinations continues to rise.”
The material was prepared in July, 2019.