Innovations in Salt Reduction in Food and Drinks: New Products, Ingredients, and Technologies19 Apr 2011 • by Natalie Aster
“In the industry survey carried out for this report, the six most mentioned (all receiving at least 5% of total mentions) companies/brands thought to be driving innovation within the reduction of salt and sodium in food and drink were the Campbell Soup Company, Nestlé, Unilever, Kraft, Frito-Lay, and Heinz.”
The BRAND NEW report “Innovations in Salt Reduction in Food and Drinks: New Products, Ingredients, and Technologies” by Business Insights analyzes the future of salt reduction, assesses existing and future technologies and ingredients to reduce sodium content and provides company analysis and product examples of salt reduced, low salt and no-salt brands.
Salt reduction has become a key issue for consumers, governments, and manufacturers, creating an opportunity and challenge for manufacturers to create reduced salt or sodium offerings. In addition, sodium or salt labeling is likely to become mandatory in most regions. The report analyzes the market context, NPD landscape, new ingredients and technologies and future salt reduction strategies.
Between 2007 and 2010, approximately 3.7% of new ‘reduced salt type’ food and non-alcoholic drinks products listed potassium chloride as an ingredient. 1.6% of all new products between 2007 and 2010 featured a ‘reduced salt type’ claim. This compares to a rate of 7.9% for ‘reduced fat type’ launches, and 5.1% for ‘reduced sugar type' launches.
The categories accounting for the highest shares of new ‘reduced salt type’ food and drinks 2007-2010 were bakery and cereals; sauces, dressings and condiments; and soft drinks. These categories accounted for more than 50% of ‘reduced salt type’ new products in the period between them.
Innovations in Salt Reduction in Food and Drinks: New Products, Ingredients, and Technologies
Published: March 2011
Price: USD 2,875.00
Use the report to…
- Understand the key drivers for salt reduction in food and drinks with a specific focus on new developments;
- Evaluate new product launches with reduced salt type claims, and the activities of key food and drink manufacturers leading product innovation;
- Identify and assess new ingredients and technologies which are expanding the boundaries of what can be achieved in salt reduction in food and drinks;
- Analyze innovative tools being used in the research and development of salt reduction solutions;
- Understand the opinions of key stakeholders and the future opportunities and challenges for the food and drinks manufacturers.
…And answer questions like…
- What are the market drivers for salt reduction and how will these affect salt reduction targets, target market focus, labeling and claims regulations?
- What is the overall rate of NPD with reduced salt type features and which categories have the highest share of low/no salt new products?
- What are the new products and research activities of some of the largest food and drink manufacturers in the area of salt reduction?
- Which new ingredients and technologies are allowing for greater levels of successful salt substitution?
- What are the key opportunities and challenges for manufacturers within the area of salt reduction in food and drinks?
More information can be found in the report “Innovations in Salt Reduction in Food and Drinks: New Products, Ingredients, and Technologies” by Business Insights.
To order the report or ask for sample pages contact firstname.lastname@example.org