Mobile Market is the Largest Packaged LED Segment, States SBI11 Feb 2013 • by Natalie Aster
The mobile phone market has been the largest application for packaged LEDs. By using LEDs, cellular phones can be made smaller and lighter. LEDs have also reduced energy consumption, thereby extending the battery charge. More recently, the tablet computer market has increased significantly with added demand for LED use in these products.
According to the report “LED and OLED Global Markets, 2nd Edition” by SBI, the packaged LED market takes many forms but can generally be broken down into seven distinct segments as shown below, with examples of some LED applications:
- Automotive – interior and instrument lighting, turn signals, tail lights, side markers, map lights, mirror lights, headlights
- Backlighting & Projection – backlighting for LCD flat panel television sets and other LCD panels,
- Illumination – walkway lighting, street lights, ingress/egress lighting, aircraft lighting, flashlights, workstation lighting, appliance lighting, interior/exterior architectural lighting, general indoor and outdoor lighting
- Industrial, Medical, Scientific – dental headlamps, microscope illumination, activate certain chemical reactions
- Mobile – backlighting for LCD screens, flashes for cameras, aesthetics and light effects
- Signals – traffic lights, pedestrian crosswalk signs, highway signs and panels, railroad and marine signals, airport beacon lights
- Signs and Displays – exit signs, street signs, replacement for neon signs, moving message signs, scoreboards, marquis signs
LED and OLED Global Markets, 2nd Edition
Published: January, 2013
Price: US$ 3,960.00
While the mobile market is the largest packaged LED segment, the backlighting and projection market has been growing rapidly. The use of LEDs for backlighting in flat panel LCD televisions has allowed manufacturers to make TVs thinner and lighter while increasing the lifetime of the television. Although LED-televisions cost more, their picture is sharper and demand for them has been high.
The illumination market has increased almost as fast as that for the backlighting market. In 2008 there were relatively few choices for LED illumination products but that has since changed.
More information can be found in the report “LED and OLED Global Markets, 2nd Edition” by SBI.
To order the report or ask for sample pages contact email@example.com